Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hip mount sovereign

bobwt

I just got a sovereign GT and am trying to figure out how I want to mount it. I have seen some people that put it in a waterproof box but I don't know how they run the wires out of the box. If anyone has a pictures of there set up I am interested in seeing them. Also, if anyone knows how to waterproof it in the otter box or similar please let me know how to do it and what I would need. Thanks!

[attachment 63317 Hipmount2007006853x455.jpg]I have been hipmounting my Sovs for over 5 years and never had a problem. I use an oversized denium fanny pack fro beltoutlet.com (about 20 bucks delivered) and attach it to a Dewalts padded, 3" workbelt. That way I can carry all of my tools into the field or the beach with me. I use a cable tie taped to the coil cable to form a loop that snaps into a snap hook clevis attached to the belt, so, there is never any strain on the cable connector, especially, if I drop my rod. I use a Sun Ray S-8 coil on a straight rod that I built and the whole setup weighs less than 2 pounds. Add a meter for turf hunting and it weighs about 2-1/2 pounds. Here is a picture of my outfit set up for beach hunting:

they both were awkward, cumbersome and caused falses, because the coil connector would get bumped. This is the best setup, in my opinion. I built my rod so I can just screw in a "V" clip and attach a Minelad meter, if I want to use one. But, the bottom line for me is "LIGHT", and I have achieved that. The Sun Ray S-8 coil goes very deep, 8-9 inches in grass, and, at least 9" at the beach. I usually hunt for at least 3-4 hours at a time, mostly dry, loose sand, but, if I wanted to hunt an old park, with one of my meters, I could go all day, or, until my knees gave out because I dug so many targets. 1000 knee bends is alot for a 60 year man. You are only allowed so many, than, you have to stay at the beach!:cheers:

[attachment 63322 Hipmount2007005853x455.jpg]On my belt, I have a "side kick" pouch (has a mesh bottom) and it has tubes for pennies, silver, jewelry, trash and a water bottle. Also on the belt is a large hunting knife with a 9" blade I use for cutting plugs in grass and prying out stubborn cobble stones at the beach. And, there is a cell phone pouch and an upside down watch, so I know what time it is. That's important, because most of my weekday hunting is before work. You need water too, for 4 hour hunts out in the heat. By sliding the fanny pack (with the control box) to the small part of my back, it is not only out of my way for swinging the coil, but, it provides balance and lets eliminates the fatigue factor, so I can hunt longer. Longer hunts equal more goodies! HH,

Bill