Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hillsboro Inlet Area...

Jeff K

I read the following in Steven Singer's book "Shipwrecks of Florida." Has anyone worked this area?

"Hillsboro Inlet-Pompano Beach - The area south of the Hillsboro Inlet to the Pompano Beach Pier has yielded artifacts over the years. Cob coins and a 17th-century Spanish cannon have been found here. There are many stories of gold and silver coins having been found here in the 1950s. The coins may have come from one of the 1715 Fleet vessels, or possibly from a vessel that had salvaged the fleet and was returning to Havana. A beach restoration project has buried the shallow reef just offshore and, most likely, any trace of a wreck, although recently the dredge at the inlet has dredged up coins from the 1715 period."

Jeff I have detected at the Deerfield Pier twice and did not even find a penny. Buried trash-soda cans, capri sun foil packets, pull tabs, foil wrappers, soda caps. Though I live less than ten miles from the beaches, I rarely go because there's lots of trash. The wrecks from 1715 occurred further up the coast. Maybe the tides brought some coins and things down 50 years ago. :pulltab: