Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High Value Target ID #'s continued from" What a Day "post

FarmerJ

I should state that I my experience is based on California soil (very high mineral). I wanted to bounce a few things off you guys and see if you agree or think I'm missing some high value items. Keep in mind I'm talking about California soil. Usually everywhere I hunt is at least moderate to high trash so I tend to use C & J mode to help sort threw it. I have had my Safari since Christmas and have found 3 gold rings, 2 gold bracelets and 6 silver rings. Also a ton of coins but nothing very old. I use the sounds way more than the ID # (look at it for more of just a reference). Anyhow, I dig 1-11 and 38 and above ONLY. Does anyone think or have experience finding any high value items at any other numbers. A lot of people talk about diamond rings at 15 but I don't think that is California soil. ( we like to do everything different in Cali, apparently even the soil likes to be a pain in the butt compared to everything else). I know I am passing up all nickels but it seems that my best return on time invested is to skip them. Any thoughts or criticism appreciated.

Farmer J,
Seems like your discrimination works for you. I don't hunt just coins or jewelry, so looking for relics I must open up my options and dig more numbers. It also has helped me get to know the Safari better as well. I too use the sounds and only use the numbers to cross check what I am hearing. I don't even remember the last time I looked at the picture ID's. I just don't even see them anymore. I think sometimes it boils down to location. I have been lucky to dig in my neighborhood which was started in the early 1900's. (1915-1940ish) Find mostly 40's silver with an occasional earlier date. Like TomH said in his post, if you are in a historically significant area, you can't skip certain numbers.
It would be interesting if you opened up your discrimination and see what you can find.
Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
HH,
Bunker

There are areas I hunt here that have very nasty soil....I would start digging 32-33-34 signals.. those have been indian head pennys for me....35's are zinc cents... now for nickles, mine show up at 12-13 just about every time...14-15 are pull tabs or beaver tails... Just for the hell of it, one day I dug a solid 17 signal about 8 inches down and to my disbelief out popped a 1932 class ring 18kt... Now 20 more digs at 17 will probably be some sort of pull tab, but this just sounded a bit different...and it was

Just my 2 cents..take care
Mark ( ohio )

Mark,

32-34 for me is a bullet or larger piece of camp lead just about every time. That's a number I am always looking for.

TomH

Where in CA are you located? I'm in the Sacramento area. If you want to find gold rings and are only going up to 11, you're missing out. All of the gold rings I've found came in at 13 to 17. Have you found any good jewelry that ID'd lower than a 6?

Bart

I'm located in SoCal and it's been my experience that gold rings go up to 21-22 both air testing and in the ground so unfortunately, I'm positive you have passed up lots of gold.:cry: You may want to go over the areas you've already detected opening up your discrimination to 22. You'll pick up lots of pull tabs and trash but you WILL also be adding to your collection of gold! [size=large][/size]

The towns I hunt go back to early 1800's I hunted the first 200 hours with the Safari at 15 to 39 open with High Trash on everything else was disc out including 40.I found about 11 men's rings between 17 and 21 -5 were masonic no Lady's rings.I did not care for finding nickels either.One day last fall in the evening I went down to a park that I had hunted to death with Safari,I had seen 4 or 5 other hunters with Etrac go over went out in the baseball field that had little trash just goofing around set to low trash,set to 0 on disc,conduct mode in relic no icons,18 sensitivity and started to dig only signals that were at bottom of depth scale.Not expecting to find much just glad to be out hunting.First off I did dig a lot of beaver tails they read deeper than they are,deep foil I still do not know gets so deep.I was shocked when I pulled a barber dime laying flat at 9 inches the rest of the week in the evening I hunted I found 3 seated and 11 more barbers all dimes no quarters ,no pennies all between 9 and 10 inches.I also found a lot of neat stuff 18 cracker jack toys,a lot of lead bullets I was finding small 22 cal bullets at 7 inches.Tennis shoe eyelets sound real good also.Metal buttons.Then I got a signal that read deep at 7 on target ID this has been 22 bull its repeated both ways white gold 18 K early 1900's single diamond recessed setting first Lady's ring 400 dollars cash antique dealer.Then it got cold have not really hunted much since.Was challenged last weekend by new AT Pro owner all targets were in 15 - 5 gallon plastic buckets that have been set up for years. It is a very good machine. the only way I could beat it was to go to low trash with pro coil on I sure did disappoint those boys I could see it in there faces.I did like the Iron set up on AT Pro and speaker set up reminds me of my old machines I my pick one up goof around with it a little.

Great info and finds Prep, thanks for posting. Would love to find a seated! Hope you will post some pix soon.
HH,
Bunker

I'm about 45 minutes from you in Stockton. Thanks for the info I guess I will have to rethink my strategy. Also yes all the vintage rings I have found bounce between 4 and 7.