Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High Mineral Ground Settings for the Explorer SE Help :help:

mxtdfx

[size=large]Hello :) I am going on a hunt in a area that has high mineral content in its soil ,Does anyone have a program they use for such a place that has wicked soil ,I was told the Explorers don't work in hot ground but I can't believe it ,it is such a good machine can anyone Help thanks Dan'l :) [/size]

Ive hunted all over the US and cant agree with those that say this machine dont work well in hot ground. Is it the best... no, but there isnt any machine thats the best everywhere. It works as well as any machine. Now it dont like loose soil like moles create or plowed ground. I think the biggest thing would be to maybe use auto sensitivity or you may have to open your IM up to say 28 and reduce your sensitivity until you stop getting a lot of falsing or nulling. Watch your smartscreen when the cursor starts keeping up with the tones you got it.

Dew

Dew is absolutely correct. However I typically LOVE to hunt in manual sensitivity, for me it seems that I get to hear everything in the ground and run with more of an open iron mask. I have gotten used to some of the falsing that goes along with that, but then again I have the EXII which IMHO discriminates iron better than most. But I have noticed that if I hunt in a high mineral ground area the rig is more stable in Auto Sens than manual, sweep slow and you should be alright. Sure you may dig a few hot rocks but you will also grab the nice finds that others are too impatient to hunt. I have noticed that the "hot rocks" tend to not have that nice silver warble sound as much also. I hunt mainly by sound and rarely look at the screen, although since your using the SE you do have one advantage and that is the pinpoint, try using the target ID in pinpoint mode, "hot rocks" that I have encountered tend to hit at the very extreme top right (where iron hits for me), the SE may see them differently, but you might notice a pattern after digging a few up. Minnesota is full of many areas like this, just ask Chicago Ron, when he has been up this way to visit, he couldn't believe the amount of "hot rocks" here. These same areas have yielded some of my best finds though.

Good luck and HH

Michelob

What the heck happened to my post? Anyway what i said was unless they are surface hot rocks reduced sensitivity will solve the problem. Dig one and wave it across your coil you will see they hit at 00 31 on the SE...Far upper right. Ive hunted in AZ and there are a lot of hot rocks there.

I hunted the first few DIVs at Culpeper with an Explorer XS and did pretty good. Now I swing a PI at these hunts. You wont find any soil in the country that is more mineralized than the red dirt in Culpeper. You can expect to only get about half the depth that you are used to. Here are the setting that I used on my XS. Sensitivity one notch below the unstable point. On the XS that was 12 to 14 out of 32. You must run in manual. Automatic will take the sensitivity down in the single numbers which isnt good. IM at 15 out of 16. Deep on, Fast off. The most important thing I found is swing really slow! You will have to watch the screen. Most of your signals will jump around on the screen. Dig anything that goes right of center even if it does not lock on. You will dig plenty of signals that will dissappear on you. Dont give up on them. I dug many bullets that did that only to find that they were in my dirt pile and sometime visable but the machine couldnt hear them. That is how bad that ground is. I kid you not. One other thing, trust your stock coil. larger or smaller aftermarket coils were pretty much worthless. If you know your machine you will do OK especially by the 2nd day. Hope this helps.

Marc