Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

hi

mooser

I am new to this metal detecting stuff but i am looking at the x-Terra 305 and the 505. Has either one have a steep learning curve to it. Is either one good at fresh water dry and damp beach sand. Are they both easy to pinpoint with. Would the 505 be better than a fisher f-5. ( more stable in different type of soils) (thanks)

Howdy friend,

Not much help here on the detectors you are asking about. But, the X-70 has a basic-go-gettum learning curve of probably 1 hour or so. Afterwards you can start learning in depth what the machine and it's noises are really telling you. What I like about the X-70, ( I can't see why the other X-Terras would be different) is the almost simplistic use of it's menu. Good Luck.

Welcome to the site! i agree the X-Terra series are very easy to learn machines. They also alow a bunch of room to grow with. For some good info check out the FAQFAQ page at the top of the forum list, Beale.

I can't say about the 305, or 505. But I know for a fact the very first day i hunted with my xterra 70 I found tons of coins, and several nice deep ones too. Still my best hunt to this day. It is so easy to use I was amazed! I would assume the 305 and 505 are very similar

Now I'll have to agree with the turn on and go of the X 70 and probably all the X's. When you read the hundreds of pages of "great" instruction/personal experience available here on the machine and all the X terras it will blow your mind at the versatility of them. Everytime I turn aound I'm trying something new and seeing how it will work. My personal experience is this is a learning curve the whole time you detect it looks like. Have fun:thumbup:

None of those mentioned have a steep learning curve. Just read the manual, read the forum posts, and practice - practice - practice! If you are only hunting fresh water beaches, the mineralization will not change (going from dry to wet sand) as rapidly as on salt water beaches. As such, most detectors with a manually adjustible GB can be set to operate smoothly on fresh water beaches. Of those you mentioned, I'd recommend either X-Terra. (what did you expect to hear on the X-Terra forum? :thumbup:) I can honestly say I much prefer the X-Terra over the F5, due to build quality, TID stability, functionality and coil choices.

If you were hunting in wet/dry salt water beaches, I'd recommend a detector with tracking mode as the salt can dramatically increase the mineralization of wet sand. If that were the type of hunting you were going to do, I'd recommend either the X-70 and 705 as they each have tracking and Beach mode. The 705 actually incorporates what is called tracking offset. This allows the user to set the GB with a "positive" or "negative" GB parameter, and that "offset" will continue to be implemented while in a tracking mode. JMHO HH Randy

I have two X 50's and a X 70, the 50 is very easy to use. You will be up to speed in no time. Do consider a 705, only $100 bucks more!