Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hi all !! newbie here from uk.any tips wanted for bh lone star

karp108

Hi all detected before with a cheap import from japan i purchased from ebay used once then give up .WHAT RUBBISH.I am taking delivery of bh lone star tomorrow and hoping for better results.I was looking at the tracker lv but cheapest one i could find new over here was

Hi karp108, I use the lonestar has my main detector. Like you, I'm fairly new to this. The lonestar is a pretty good machine for the price. I haven't yet been able to detect in many old areas that might yield deeper targets, but in air tests, this detector has been able to give a correct identification on a US quarter at 7-8 inches. I use mine mostly for coins, but am willing to dig anything else that sounds good. I set my detector in the 'disc' mode with the sensitivity at 3 o'clk and the disc nob at 7 o'clk (fully off). This eliminates most iron, while allowing most gold to come through. I have used it on the beach; it works best on dry sand, but can be used in wet sand (the saturated salt causes the detector to false, but not go crazy). To remedy any falsing, I try to use a smaller coil (4 inch one from Bounty Hunter works well), turning the sensitivity down, and swinging the detector slowly. Remember, its technically a land detector, and works best in dry, salt-free conditions. Don't let that discourage you, though! I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it to work pretty smoothly in wet sand. Here's a link to some more reviews that might be helpful:

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/66-1-lonestar.html

Hope this helps, welcome, and happy hunting! abcoin

Thanks for your reply abcoin.I received my detector got up at first light and had a morning down the beach with my new lone star. using the settings you suggested it performed really well i found a small foreign coin in wet sand at least 5 inches down other than that just dug a whole load of trash . But had a great time and was well pleased with my purchase.The following day i decided to search my back garden to see if i would find anything my cheap detector had left undetected.I turned the lone star on left it in all metal and every time i sweep the thing sounded off i turned the senc right off but could not stop it sounding on every sweep.After changing the batteries and checking all connections i could not stop it from sounding on every sweep i also took up the park but still the same. I have now sent the unit back and they say it is not faulty and does every thing it should do they said they could ether return to me or give me a full refund.I think it def had a fault when i sent it back and have opted for the refund.I am now thinking on the ace 250 that everybody rates so highly.:ukflag::crazy:

Sorry to here that the lonestar didn't work out...that is odd behavior. The only likely explanation that I can think of is ground mineralization (that is, other than your machine being a reject). In that case, you might want to consider getting a machine with a ground balance feature. Bounty Hunter makes some higher-end models with this feature (including the pioneer 505, land star and time ranger). You should look at other brands as well. I don't know if the Ace 250 would help you if ground balance is the issue, but you never know. My suggestion: do lots of research on the different models and brands available, and find out what works well over there in Britain. Good luck and Happy Hunting, abcoin.