Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hi all, I'm a first time poster

hegarov

Hi everyone,
I live in Southern Ontario near London. I've been the proud owner of an Ace 250 now for over a year. After finally getting the hang of my machine, I've become addicted to the hobby. So far my best finds are a little girls sterling silver ring, a 1913 10 cent piece that's badly worn and an 1892 British Half-penny.
I found all these in the yard of a former one room school house. Although my junk to treasure ratio is getting better, I don't seem to ever find much that's buried more than 4inches. I usually have the sensitivity in the 4-6 range depending on the ground. Is the Ace 250
good at finding the deeper targets or should I upgrade to a better machine.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Peter

Hi Hegarov.
Welcome to the forum. You know. If I were you I would just stick with the Ace and get me a sniper and the 9x12 coil. The 9x12 will get you some more depth and the sniper will help you score in trashy areas. And also you won't have to go through the time it takes to learn a new machine.
Now, if you were me, you'd put aside all this logic and get another detector just to do it. You see Hegarov, I'm a "detector" addict.
And I admit I am powerless under the control detectors and detecting has over me. ( I just completed my 1st step! )
The GTI 1350 as well as the GTI 2500 are both so tempting to me.

Hi, My name is Joe, and I am a metal detectorist.... :clapping: I completely agree with DANG. Get a few extra coils and enjoy. Or... turn to the dark side like the rest of us, and fill your closet with detectors!! Hey golfers have more than one club dont they??
HH
Joe

The 250 will find them if they are there. You can always go to the bigger coil. Most dropped coins are found in the 2-4 inch range. It's a myth that old the silver and old coins are buried halfway to China. I've found coins from the 1700's at two inches. The stock coil on the 250 is good for 8-10 inches unless your soil is heavily mineralized.

Bill

Every few months I think there is something wrong with my detector. I dont seem to have finds over 4 inches. The reality is that is wher 98% of the coins are.

Hi Bill,
I have hit some large targets, like pipes, wheel rims etc...at up to 12 inches, but coins and other small items still elude me at that depth. I've thought alot about getting the 9x12 coil and from what others have posted here I'm pretty sure now that I'm getting one.
Thanks for the advice.
peter

Hi Dang,
The detector bug has bitten pretty deeply here too. It's a good thing I have an understanding wife. Thanks for the advice on the sniper and a the 9x12. Happy hunting.
peter

Peter welcome aboard !

You got a good machine !

I use the 550 and have been doing some serious tecting the last few months....have not been on the forumn for awhile. I'll be looking forward to your posts.

Often you can get a bit more depth if you turn it
up higher. But, that often means more chatter.
Myself, I've kinda got used to it, and can pretty
much tell the chatter from real targets. On my machine,
I get more depth if I turn it up to max. Pretty much
proven using careful air tests. On my stock coil, I get
about 7.5-8 inches max. On my 9x12 coil, I get about 2-3
inches more. Say maybe 11 inches tops for good repeatable
signal. But I notice if I roll the sensistivity back, I
don't get that much. It stands out the most on the big coil.
So I've got to where I run it pretty hot, no matter which
coil I'm using. Often, full blast unless the chatter is really
bad for some reason. One thing to consider, the "footprint"
at the lower depths is real thin due to the pattern of the
coil. So if a coin is *really* deep, you will need to swing
right over it, or you will miss it. Also, I've noticed the
250 usually hits a tad sporadic, and often one way on deeper
coins. So it's possible you have passed over a few unless you
dig those type of signals. The 9x12 coil will for sure give
you 2-3 inches more than what you are getting now. But like
I say, in my case, I need to crank the machine up to take
full advantage. Another thing that kind of tells me most
coins really are pretty shallow... I seem to find coins
about as deep with my sniper as I do with the bigger coils.
I found a wheat at 6 inches with the sniper. So that tells
me the machine is capable of going even deeper with the bigger
coils, but the fact that I don't find too many real deep coins
probably means they probably haven't been there. Either that
or I pass them over thinking the weak hits are trash.. I've
started to dig more of those type signals.. Some are deeper
coins. Anyway, if you want to get the max depth, you will need
to crank it, and that means more chatter. Sometimes the chatter
at max is not too bad. Sometimes it is. Depends on the ground,
etc. I've kinda trained my ear to ignore the random chatter,
but lock in on the repeating signals. It's not that hard to
do once you get used to what most chatter sounds like.
Chatter ID's random all over the map. Real signals usually
ID fairly stable within a certain range.
My $2.76 worth.. MPG will vary..What works here, might not
somewhere else as well.. :/