Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hey everyone!Help a VT student out please

ryand2

Hows everyone doing?
I'm new here... in fact I'm new to all this in general, it seems pretty exciting, which is why I got a bounty hunter tracker iv last Friday... I've been out a few times, mostly on the Virginia tech campus.... yep.... lots of can tabs.... wonder where those come from.... anyways last Friday I found 2 coins and a car key... that was it. tonight i went out to the old amphitheater that was built in the early 1930's and found nothing but more can tabs after spending over 2 hours out there... kind of disheartening. I got a lot of hits, only to dig holes about 10 inches down and have the signal just die out. I would search the area around the hole to see if I kicked something up, and I would get a signal, but for the life of me I couldn't see anything even after spending fifteen minutes on all fours sifting through the dirt.. Does anyone have any advice they can bestow on a newbie?
-thanks

Heya ryand2! You might try using a probe such as the Bounty Hunter Teknetics probe. It isn't the best but won't break the bank either. I use one and it works great for me. You just have to make sure the battery cap is on the right way or it will pop off sometimes when you touch it (some tape it on). With the probe you can turn the sensitivity up and "feel" around in the hole and dirt pile until it beeps and buzzes to find what are sometimes very small pieces of metal giving off very large signals on your detector. I find this especially helpful in "pea gravel" playgrounds and volleyball sandpits. I have found a few very small necklace charms this way (not to mention various very small hunks of junk).

well thanks for the reply! I've been looking into getting a probe after md'ing the fast few days.

It seems like the Harbor Freight Probe is the best value, but from what I read its usually on back order.

I also have the Harbor Freight probe. I really like the light and it is a little more sensitive than the Bounty Hunter probe. I plan to use the Harbor Freight probe to night hunt but I like the rounded tapered shaft of the Bounty Hunter. The Harbor Freight probe is flat on the end which makes it a little harder to push into the ground. Both probes are good values for the money in my opinion and I carry and use both of them. I know that there are more expensive and probably better units out there but I haven't hit any "dry holes" using these two probes.

You WILL dig a LOT of junk but that makes it all the sweeter when you hit something good. Keep trying and learn your machine......you will find the good stuff. Good luck to you.

I've never used a probe, what I do use is a small magnet if the target is hard to find. Most of the times it's small iron. Other times it can be a very small non ferrous item, so if the magnet does'nt pick it up I keep on looking until I've got it. HH regards Nugget.:ausflag:

If your getting a LOT of false signals, back down your SENSitivity a bit...If you have dug more than 8 inches and still do not see a target, Most likely it is a false signal, or a very large object (tin can, buried pipes, deep)...

HH,

GoGoGopher

i have had the same problem i use a bh prospector dx gut i am going to get one of the 127.63 models off of eaby my bhpinpoint is getting goofy on me the harbor fieght ones sre on back log due to the guys on ebay buying a case at a time and selling them on ebay for way to much dough