Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Heritage for sale......

Dan-MO

Most of us probably have some kind of keepsake laying around that has been passed down thru the family.
I have several items that once belonged to my grandfathers,or my dad and even a few little momentos that belonged to my great grandfather.

The things I have are not overly valuable dollar wise-but have great sentimental value to me.

One of the things I have is my grandfathers pocket knife.He carried it in his pocket for 40 plus years and the bone handle is worn satin smooth from the pocket wear.It is a 3 blade Keen Kutter sold by Shapleigh hardware in St. louis from the Late 1800s to the 1950s.Although I never carry it or use it it is still razor sharp and could still be used.

Another thing I have that I do put to use from time to time is a smooth woodworking plane sold by and marked Winchester that was made in 1920.Nearly everyone has heard of Winchester but many people do not know that this company as American as apple pie sold a complete line of tools with the famous Winchester trademark from 1920 to 1929.They also sold hunting and pocket knives with the famous trademark and a vintage Winchester marked knife or tool are often very valuable to collectors.

Other great American trademarks from the past include Wagner and Griswold-makers of cast iron items.Many if not most of the iron skillets that our mothers and grandmothers cooked with will have one of these names-vintage American names-on the bottom of it.

The reason I mention the above is because all of these vintage American pieces are now being reproduced and sold- from China!A friend I work with showed me his new pocket knife today. On one side of the blade it is boldly marked Winchester.....on the other side of the same blade in smaller letters it is marked

today, that having only one child did have it's advantages. Then we got to talking about what kind of world they are going to grow up in and their children. It's really scarey, and your fear is well founded! That is why it is so very important to me to do the best I can, to let them know the stories behind the treasures that we keep from our parents, grandparents and even great grandparents. They have to be made aware of the "real thing", and that can only be done by our teachings to them.

I treasure the photos I have, especially of my childhood. Today, I took a photo of my five year old grandson, David with his two year old cousin Jack, standing in front of the chicken pen with their arms around each other. I told my girls then, that someday, this would be a priceless photo in someone's possession. I hope that holds true.

We are a great nation, but sometimes we are our own enemy when it comes to the imports that we seem to support. I won't go on about this, ......... it's just scarey time to me, and it is only human to fear.......that, that we are unsure about, and have to question Why????

I enjoyed you post. Keepsakes do not have to be of great monetary value to make us relish them. :)

There is a law against illegally using someone else's trademark, its called Piracy. The problem is all of these companies go to china to have the product made because of the cheap labor[ and of the legally made products-they had to be put up for sale in the first place before they could be bought by someone overseas-you know Lamborghini is owned by Chrysler?]. I carry knives made by Cold Steel which are mostly made here. But I use this brand because its the best on the market, and I know a wholesaler where they are priced right.

...not sure if same there,but the public is duped by the produce sellers.
They label the apples etc, as a local product.I n reality the produce is coming from all over the world.They legally hide this ,because they package the produce locally they pull the wool over the consumers.Who knows what pesticides are being used in banana republics.
Have a nice day ojm

They got a federal law passed making it mandatory that the sources of some imported products are properly labeled. Here in Louisiana crawfish from China were given names to make it sound like it was local. If you have a name like "Louisiana Creole Crawfish"[trademark name] you would take it for granted it was from here, when in fact that trademark name has nothing to do with the source. Not only could they undersell the fresh local products, you did not know what pesticides were used over in another country.

Like the 'Stars and Stripes'.......[and even the 'Stars and Bars'].....

time, we have WONDERFUL farmer's markets. I know some of them personally, and you get the best vegetables and fruit ever! I even grew a few tomatoes last year. You just can't beat the taste of home grown! :)

I particularly like the speed assisted safe opening version, designed by Ken onion. They, too are made in the US [Oregon, if memory serves me correctly], and the one handed ability to open them is wonderful, especially here on the farm. I cannot tell you how many times I have to use a knife each day.

I have looked at the cold steel, but for me, that Kershaw is ideal.

All the best

M

I'll go you two better than Onion; S&W Special OPs and the Boker Magnum both of which are automatics or switchblades. Funny thing is I can legally carry one but someone with two hands can not. I also like 'Butterflies', especially if I'm doing a 'Kali' demonstration. You know how to tell if your 'Butterfly'is a good one? If you are occasionally cut by it. They believe in the Philippines that a good 'Balisong'[Butterfly] is possessed [By that standard I got a haunted house], and if it cuts you, it will be an absolute terror to anyone you might face. As a matter of fact, I dropped my S&W yesterday point first into my left knee-into the scar where I was shot[in Cambodia], and I keep my knives REAL sharp. The pain was......exquisite, especially after I put iodine on the cut.

Switchblades are illegal. However, these Kershaws are acceptable to our government, and when we are working with the horses, the ability to rapidly open a knife one-handed is needed.

All the best

M