Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here you go Arkie!!

Royal

[attachment 16377 turkey.jpg]

2005 was my best year for turkey--with gun OR bow.

I have not seen a turkey in many weeks because the acorn crop was great this past year and they are scattered to the four winds.

I am leaving for Beaumont, TX for about 60 days to do a little volunteer hurricane relief work, so the next time I will have to watch for them will be upon my return--two days before the spring season opens.

GREAT photo, Royal. They just are simply beautiful creatures, and as a bonus, some dad-gummed fine eatin' as well! <><

aj

Hay Arkie, I got myself a Double Bull Matrix blind now, and I just put in for the spring turkey lic draw! Can't wait!
Good luck in the hurricane relief work!

feather or hide of any of those Turkeys. I love this photo, thanks for posting it! Kelley (Texas) :)

I will be hunting in Roscommon, Mich. My house is about 15miles from Royals I think. Freaking turkeys are everywhere! I could just whack one out my back door if I wanted to! I havnt hunted out of that blind yet, I still used my climbing stand for deer(lone wolf). I have never hunted turkeys, and I'm looking forward to it! I'll be using my bow.

n/t

1. Dress in all black from the waist on up.
2. Close off the back part of your blind sos you don't silhouette yourself.
3. Before you settle in, mark 20-steps off in every direction with sticks about 2' or 3' leaning up against trees.
4. Then, mark off ten more steps and lean up another stick.
(I reserve 30 yard shots for the "parting (backbone) shots.")
5. Put a jake decoy about 10 steps from your blind, FACING you. In the spring, the tom will do business with him before anything else.
6. When the birds are coming in, don't move. Wait until they are within the "green" zone (20 yards). I use the 20 yard site pin for every shot from 20 yards on in. Once they are within range, get some gumption about you and come to draw, with the confidence that they CANNOT see you. Draw slowly and aim for the wing butt (high and forward) if sideways to you. If coming to you, aim for the (gulp) beard. Don't worry, you'll never hit the beard. :D If he is going away from you, lay the 30 yard pin on his backbone. If you hit anywhere up and down the spine, the bird will be disabled.

Let us know how you do. Write me personally and we'll talk more about the ins and outs of turkey hunting, without boring anyone :lol:

Take care, <><

aj

not braggin' but I've killed 11 birds with a bow, all due to the GREAT double bull! When Lil' Bro and I are hunting together and are in the same blind, then it is INDEED "double bull." aj

I gotta go play down in Beaumont!

Tell us a sho-nuff GOOD, VERIFIED crappie story. No bull allowed (as usual on this forum :lol: )

Johnboy

Thanks for taking the time to write that up! I appreciate it! Have you ever hunted deer out if your Double Bull? I hav'nt yet, I like my Lone Wolf climber. But I see so many turkeys.... I know it will be a blast!
One question...When you get one, do you just take the breast meat? Or pluck it? (that seems like too much work!)

I have, on occasion, hunted for deer out of it. However, deer don't like the black holes the windows make and I hear that the blind is not as effective for white-tails. Last season, Tom had deer come within 10 feet of him and they never knew he was there. I, too, have had the same experience a year or two earlier.

My preference for deer hunting is a portable climbing tree stand. Currently I hunt from my stationary tree stand, 15 feet above the ground. Deer never see me but turkeys bust me every time! Always have, even when I bow hunted them from a climber in the 70s.

The Double Bull is the greatest for bow hunting turkeys because it hides your "drawing" motion completely. The down side is that your vision is restricted and you don't get to enjoy the "great outdoors" as much. Nevertheless, I prefer the DB to any other blind when hunting turkeys. They just don't know you're there. Many times I get two and even sometimes, three shots. It's like they're bein' struck by lightning. They just can't figure it all out.

Yeah, they have color, 9-power vision and great instinctive ability...and NO curiosity AT ALL. But they just don't have the capacity to reason.

I intend to purchase another climber before next fall. What are your thoughts on them? I have not owned one since 1979, so what are the best brands that are reasonably priced? and don't weigh 60 pounds?

Thanks for the response and happy hunting this spring. <><

aj

(EX 33:22)