Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here it is-- Exactly what I didn't want!

Buddysox

So yesterday I happily load my gear and go to a new park I had located and hunted once before. It is a large park dating from 1935. On the previous hunt the park seemed to be very promising, loads of clad, a few silvers and some wheats. I was digging more than swinging the exp 11. The parks dept here has a good attitude and does not say anything about detecting in the parks as long as you "leave it as you found it". I have always been very careful to cover my holes and not bother anybody. I was looking forward to a great day and then I stepped out of my truck where I was going to hunt.
Somone had been there one or two days before detecting, AND IT LOOKED LIKE THEY USED A DARNED BACKHOE TO DIG!. UNCOVERED HOLES WERE ALL OVER! LOOKED SHOVEL SIZE AND NOT ONE FILLED BACK IN. JUST THE TYPE OF THING THE PARKS DEPT. WILL REALLY GET PISSED ABOUT.
My thoughts immediatly went to comments on this forum about the outlawing of detecting in parks in some cities. To make it worse I could tell that whoever it was, they didn't really know what they were doing, several of the holes had coins still in them when I hit them with the exp 11. Two others had a target in the dirt that was shoveled out. Several had junk targets left in the hole. This jerk better hope he gets a pinpointer and a brain to go along with the cheap detector he got for Christmas and just decided to try out.
After covering about 20 of these holes I went on to a very good day detecting. It's just that I am sure with any more of this stuff in thier parks I am in for a tough time and the Dork who dug the holes and found out you have to use your brain decided it is too much work and has stuck the detector in a closet to be forgotten, but, not until he has ruined it for the rest!

John,I agree these types of hunters will close a lot of parks if unchecked.In some parks I've come upon holes that were not refilled and had to clean up and make repairs to the sod,which looked like a herd of gophers stampeded through the park.I'm sure this new hunter went door to door asking property owner's if he could search their yards.

n/t

Yes, Ron, these types will ruin it for all of us, thanks for letting me blow off some steam. I know that nobody here needs to be told this about leaving the ground as it was. I know that most of the manufactures put literature with a new detector about the right way to do it. I always try and drill the "leave it as you found it" to any new detectorists I meet. Dont know what else we can do.

Maybe it is a fantasy, but it would be nice if the various clubs could educate the park employees about how a hole should be properly dug. Then if they see somebody detecting they can watch them for a few minutes and if they are disfiguring the ground call the police ON THEM. If they see people doing it responsibly, leave em alone. Don't see why we ALL have to be punished for the irresponsible behavior of a few low-lifes. Thanks for covering the holes. I'd do the same as most of us would. Jim

I've thought the same. Is it better to call the cops on someone doing damage so everyone doesn't get banned? I think educating local officials on how it is done properly might not be a bad idea.

Kind of like dog poop. Most people clean up but those that don't make it likely that everyone else's dog gets banned.

Chris

Sorry to hear that you found the park that way. Some people are selfish. This selfish attitude permeates every aspect of their lives. Educating them won't do any good because they just don't care. It was good that you covered the holes. I would and have done the same.

Crispytoo

The park people have enough to do without taking classes and baby sitting hunters in the park.I was a National Ski Patrol for Independence Oaks Park.The park paid a lot of money to have the trails groomed for cross country skiing.Signs all over the park no hiking with dogs on the ski trails.Pretty simple but we always had to make a couple of calls on the radio to the Police because someone didn't want to follow the rules and threaten the people who had to enforce the park rules.Any hunter making trouble in the park will cause metal detectors to be banned.Best thing we can do is police our own and clean up after these bums so we don't get kicked out of our favorite park.

I HATE MD who do this. Selfish,stupid, inconsiderate aHOLES! They ruin for all of us who cover our tracks. I know when I see holes like that I cover them up as best I can. Give your corgie a bone for me.

1 bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. I find it embarrasing to find the giant plugs left by 1 idiot. I was detecting in a park for a couple of days and when I went to another part of the park, I thought I was in a land mine. Giant holes, big enough to pull out hubcaps were every where. I left after filling holes before I was accused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0I266Chtd4

Yeah I hate to find a park looking like that!!!!!! Like legal said... he prolly hade one of these!!!!

There could be something else to this. It's quite possible it was some kid who got a cheap metal detector for christmas from parent's who know absolutely nothing about the proper use of a metal detector. They just said Merry Christmas and sent the kid down to the park.Without knowing for sure who did it we all assume it was somebody who should know better. I'm not defending any type of poor digging techniques but there may be another side to the story.
Good hunting Gary

There's probably some truth to that gear box. I met a guy when I was first MD and I knew way more than him about MD,tumbling, Frequencies,discrimination,blah,blah and he'd been at for a few years. He probably didn't have a computer too. He digging techniques were to me at that time not so good and I was concerned about it and I could tell whenever he swept an area.

[size=x-large]B.A.D[/size]. LOL..where do I get it.:rofl:

Hi - And there's also another possibility.....squirrels! I detected a park once and filled in all my holes like I have always done since day one. I came back a day or two later and was horrified to find almost all of the plus pulled out! I have heard of this before and apparently squirrels or racoons will sometimes remove our plugs to see what's (food?) down there. Now this guy may have been a lousy detectorist - leaving targets in the hole, etc, but there's the possibility that animals removed the plugs. If you found piles of dirt next to the hole then I'd say this moron left them like that. It only takes one or two guys like this to spoil things for everyone - the situation in KY was probably brought on by someone like this.

I always check the rookie digs as i have found quite a few indians and one barber half in them. That keeps me interested as I cover the holes back up. Keep an eye out for rookie and let him know the code. My nephew who hunts with me is a cop and my best bud is chief of police they would not come for a call about someone digging holes in the park unless they are called by the Park Crew but they will come if you get in a fight with your shovel and you will get the pinch most likely. Better to straighten rookie out when you find him but with a calm head. Ask him if he needs help with his post hole auger.

[size=large]I've run into this in the fields , parks, and the beach, most people that sell these detectors tell the people to fill the Holes, but some don't even listen.[/size]

Harold in Fla. said:
[size=large]I've run into this in the fields , parks, and the beach, most people that sell these detectors tell the people to fill the Holes, but some don't even listen.[/size]

You would think it's common sense but in today's world that is seriously lacking. I am surprised that people who do this are not thinking of the consequences and what it could do to the hobby.