Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here is what I find while visiting my dad in VA! All I can say is WOW!

You did good.....that half dime looks like it was dropped the day it was minted. Don't clean it with anything other than a little soap and water. I still haven't found silver that old or a half dime yet in over 10 years! Congrats (and I told you there was good stuff in VA!) :thumbup:

How about some color on where u found it and how deep etc?

Great find Lori :super:

That's one nice half dime, and in great shape too. That's also quite some beginners luck, by the way. I've been at this 15 years off and on and haven't found one before.

you think you were hooked be fore..forget it . All hope is lost.You will forever be a slave to the beast that beeps...But I think you will enjoy it.WTG that is one sweet half dime.

Thank you all so much! It was a real treat. I showed everyone who came to my dad's for the 4th and they were all impressed. No one had ever seen one before. Now I have to figure out what the mint mark is on it.

Lori

Sure can't find them much nicer than that Lori! Congrats on a great coin to find. Still looking for my first one. Continued Success, Good Luck and HH to you on your next outing.:thumbup:

WOW She is a Beauty!! That is a coin that you will never forget!! I could take you to the exact places where i found both of mine!! Keep up the great work!! and Good luck!

Forgot to add, on other vintage of seated liberty coins it can be inside the wreath instead of below.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, most silver coins (and most non-silver older coins too) have the mint mark somewhere on the reverse (tails) side, near the bottom.

If in doubt, look at the bottom center or bottom left.

The mint marks on most larger denominations went to the heads side below or to the right of the head in 1968 after they switched over to clad. (1965, 66, 67 coins didn't have mintmarks)

For example:

All seated half dimes, all seated and barber dimes: usually below wreath, sometimes inside wreath.
All seated 20cent pieces, seated and barber quarters and half dollars: below eagle
Mercury dimes: bottom left of fasces (bundle of sticks)
Silver rosies: bottom left of torch
Washington quarters: below eagle
All walking liberty halves besides 1916 and some 1917: left of eagle
Franklin halves: above bell
1964 kennedy halves: left of eagle
Morgan dollars: below wreath
Peace dollars: left of eagle, below "ONE"
1851-O 3-cent piece: to right of the big C with the "III" inside it. (not easy to tell which is the tails side, I'm going to call this the tails side since the date is on the other side.)

exceptions
Standing liberty quarters: on heads side at left of date
1916 and some 1917 walking liberty halves: below "in god we trust"
40% silver Kennnedy halves 1968-1970: below kennedy's head (this is in keeping with the general change to putting them on the heads side after 1968, but the kennedy was the only circulation coin made with silver content after 1964, and only for these 3 years, circulation coins after 1970 don't have silver content) (silver proofs and collector coins of various types don't count, since they weren't made for circulation)

What a super find Lori. Congrats. It is in such great shape too. How bad were you shaking when you pulled it out of the dirt??????:yikes:

That 1/2 dime is in great shape. :cheers:

beautiful coin lori