Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here are a few street rods from same car show.

George-CT

I really like the old 50's style of custom cars. Still a lot of them kept in barns around here. Sure brings back a lot of great memories.

If you notice in the 5 shot, the black street rod, the front bumper is a cam shaft...

George-CT

n/t

much work and time those guys put in! Unfortunately most are our age before they can afford to do it! Great hobby though:thumbup:

Around here, back in the late '50s, the cars most guys 'customized' were '49 thru '51 Fords & Mercurys. The big thing was to chop & channel--you had to drive 'em on pool tables--dechrome 'em, & paint 'em in gray primer only. They had to repaint about every 6 months. I've seen a '49 Mercury with a windshield that looked to be about 6" high. How they got into those things I have no idea.

I drove my Model T to school, but I had trouble with hills. The T had no water pump, no oil pump, no fuel pump, no true brakes, & no distributor, but it ran. It used 'thermal cooling,' which meant it boiled most of the time, it had splash oiling like a power lawnmower, fuel was gravity fed from a tank under the front seat, & it had a timing gear & 4 spark coils mounted in a box on the firewall inside the car. Going up or down hills was a problem. If you were going up a steep hill you had to back up it to keep gas going to the carb. Since there was no oil pump the back bearings going down a hill or the front bearings going up a hill were dry. That's the reason so many roads back in the teens, '20s, & '30s of the last century were built in a series of switchbacks. You stopped at each switchback & revved the engine so you'd get oil on the bearings for the next switchback. Just before you turned the engine off you'd have to rev it to insure there was oil in the cylinders for the next start.

The thing had a planetary transmission--2 speeds. There were 3 pedals on the floor. The left pedal was reverse, the middle pedal the 'brake'--it grabbed the transmission--& the right pedal was low & high. There was a clutch lever on the left. To go forward you made sure the clutch lever was pulled all the way back, pressed the right pedal, then adjusted the spark & gas levers, mounted on the steering column, until you got enough speed to shift to high. Then you pushed forward on the clutch lever & let up on the pedal & you were in high. The 'accellerator' was a lever on the right side of the steering column, while the spark advance was an identical lever on the left side. When you had both levers in the 6 o'clock position you were 'running with both ears down,' as fast as the car would go. On a level road with the top down & no headwind that was about 30 mph.