Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here are a few pictures of sailing ships my father and I liked.

George-CT

Being that we lived smack on the Thames River we saw what ever came and went. I didn't appreciate it as much then as I do now how lucky I was to have enjoyed the comings and going of cargo ships, military ships that passed by our place to get to the Navy Submarine Base or Electric Boat Corp where they build the subs. Got to see a lot of war ships pass by going to the sub base or the State pier where the sub tenders stayed and the nukes sub would load of them. I had the privilege to watch most of the nuke fleet of subs get launched.

What you are seeing here is ships that came in to New London City Pier, directly across from our boat yard. In the 1st picture of the bow and rigging, if you look to the left of the ship you will see a big grey building, that was the boat yard, and the docks ran the entire length of the picture. Those are gone now from 50 years of no care. That big stone tower you see there is Fort Griswold. It is the same as the one at Washington DC, just smaller.

Here is the info on the ship in the picture.

The ARM Cuauht

I had 1 21 ftr at the time.Took it to Boston for the tour of the Harbor. I may have some pics,if so,will try to dig them out. Just read the Tall Ships are planning a return in 2009? Don't have much in Figureheads,but here is the Constitution, and the second of a steel sailing yacht,in so/so condition,in Gloucester.(taken a couple months ago)Quite weathered![attachment 60716 Constitution105.jpg][attachment 60718 Rosalia009.jpg]

use some tender love and care. I have more here also, I'll drag them out.
The Eagles was right near our boat yard at the Coast Guard and I really liked looking at the ship. I only saw it a few times under full sale.
I got to go on it quit a bit but never when it sailed. My friend up the road aways did sail on it to Europe when he was there in school. He still says,and he is 67, that it was the best time in his life aboard ship and he like me loved climbing around in the rigging.

George-CT

looked like in the old days,carpenters and shipwrights probably made good money.i've seen where many ship builders also built homes in coastal towns around the country.nice pics.

Funny the things we take for granted when young. I'd just love to watch the warships and sub's float by. What a sight that had to be !

these old boats, I walked into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and found Debbie watching that Perfect Thunderstorm Movie on the TV. This has turned into the day of the boats...and I have enjoyed reading and seeing all the photos. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t