Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help

cgmaddog

Help, I am looking at getting an underwater detector and am looking at two. The Cobra Beach magnet or the Viper Trident.
Anybody use either of these 2? Thanks
Mike

Cheap and underwater do not go together in the same sentence. Buy a decent used underwater detector, it would be far better value.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

Elsewhere, someone who wanted splashproof had purchased one to save hazard to their main MD.
They said they found a few coins 3" deep over a weekend.
HH

you will not see those 2 brands very often. That will be your first clue as to whether or not they are good.

OK I plan on mostly salt with the occasional fresh water hunt. If no like the Cobra or Trident what do you recommend? Has anybody used the Cobra or Trident. As for seeing others I have not met or seen anybody out MD.

Mike

I have the Cobra beach Magnet, used it for a few weeks and was not impressed with it in any way. It will find clad at a depth of 4 maybe 5 inches , I found one silver ring with it. In wet sand (salt water) about 3 inches deep. It is very heavy . I carry it around in my truck tool box as a last resort if the Excal. has problems. My suggestion would be put out a little more money and get a good water machine. Good luck with with whatever you decide. HH

BEWARE, IT'S A TRAP! Those 2 units are on America's most unwanted water detectors, don't go there! Where are you going to hunt, fresh or salt and what it your budget, keeping in mind, that this hobby funds itself. Equipment expense is simply a temporary set-back. This pays, if you can stand a 22 straight hunt no-gold streak, like I'm going through and survive it!

Hi Joe,

I feel your pain, I too have a Beach Cobra magnet, Although it's not the greatest but it is good enough for a backup as you noticed.

Try to mount your housing underneath the arm-rest, You mentioned yours is heavy and I found by remounting the housing greatly reduces that top heavy feel.

Plus, You can adjust the sensitivity to get an extra inch in depth with a miniature sens trimmer pot on the circuit board...Be careful not to increase this trimmer pot too high, Too high of a sens will create the Beach Cobra to false in the water or mineralized soils.

So, If you attempt to increase this just do enough for an extra inch as you air test a nickel. Sure you can notice a greater increase of depth from air-testing as you advance this trimmer pot but after you seal up the detector and hit the trenches the unit will false.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Hi Mike,

I have both the Cobra Beach magnet and two Viper Trident detectors, I would agree with what many here are saying and you should get something with more sensitivity on smaller size conductors and something with more depth...They are fun to use but I use other more serious waterproof detector which do find the smaller size gold jewelry and detect much deeper, For a backup or a spare detector for a friend the Cobra or Viper will be ok....But seriously look at getting something else.

HH, Paul (Ca)

Mike,

Everyone here is giving you good advise. Stay away from cheap water detectors. Joe

Something does seem to be goin' a little sideways with this post. Is this an advert for Tesoro?? I like their product but I can make up my own mind.

BDA:cool: