Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with silver question

scoopinloot

Hit a really really nice and heavy silver chain that says 925 on it. Chain is a little grey in color from oxidization. Went home last night and scratched the surface of chain with small file and put a drop of 10kt acid on it. Tester kit says if it turns green that it is silver plated and if white creamy color then you have sterling or better. After the acid teat I noticed that the color was a very light green color on one of the latches where you connect the chain. That said, the directions as we all probably know also says that Mexican silver is not always 90% and could be less than 90%. My question is could this chain still be 925 silver and show a little green in color after the test or am I simple done, and did not find but a cheap chain that is marked 925. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello scoopinloot,

I would recommend you use the special test acid for silver, instead of using the gold acid 1st off. The properties of each test acid are slightly different, so to be accurate, it is best to use the right application. .925 silver usually shows a cream or red color, when it is right though. If the item still turns green with silver test acid, it is less than .925 more than likely. Hope this helps.