Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with my X-terra 30

Heeluver

If i lock out pulltabs on my x-terra 30 i loose nickles and rings also forcing me to search in all metal mode digging everything. Any tip from users reguarding this? Thanks, Dan

The X-30 is doing what it was designed to do. When you set a notch to be rejected, it will reject every target with a conductivity represented by that notch segment. With any discrimination detector, when you reject one target, you will also reject any other targets with the same conductivity reading. If you are setting your X-30 to reject notch segment number 12 in an effort to ignore some pulltabs, you will also reject any other target that reads a 12. That includes US nickels, some gold jewerly and possibly some nice old military buttons. As I said, all discriminators do that.

The advantage of notch discrimination is that you only reject the targets represented by the specific notches you set to reject. You can still accept targets represented by notch segments higher and lower than the one you set to reject. In a variable discrimination detector, you will reject the target value you set to reject as well as all targets with a lower conductivity reading.

The X-30 offers 12 notch segments that cover the entire spectrum of metal objects. That means that every metal target out there will fall into one of 12 notch segment categories. With that in mind, each notch you set to reject eliminates over 8% of the target possibilities.

The X-50 offers 18 notch segments that cover that same group of targets. That means that the X-50 has 50% more notches in which to recongnize a target, than the X-30. But still, rejecting one notch on the X-50 means you will ignore over 5.5% of the possible targets out there. (again, based on an even distribution of targets over the entire segment range)

The X-70 has 28 notch segments. That is over half again more than the X-50, and twice an many as the X-30. But again, if I set a notch to be rejected, I know that I will be ignoring over 3.5% of the possible targets. That is why I hunt in all metal and use my rule of consistency. (see FAQFAQ)

Let me say that having more notch segments doesn't make one X-Terra model hunt any deeper than another. But it does give you more information as to what you might want to dig and what you may want to ignore.

The key to digging coins (while rejecting trash) is an art. It is not a science. Manufacturers have helped us a lot by designing detectors with notch discrimination, varying audio modes and TID. But even so, it all comes down to how well we know our detector, the information it provides and practice, practice, practice! If it were easy, all the coins would already be gone! JMHO HH Randy

If your looking for coins you can't notch out #12. I think most tabs will fall in at #16,20,24,28 But your larger gold rings fall into those zones. I read somewhere a guy took like 100 gold rings and determined that at least 50% of those rings hit in the nickel zone. It's been a few years but I think I'm remembering it right. Anyone else remember that test? I think he used a CZ5? But either way it's still a nickel.

But this first chart has to be one of the best examples of TID response that I've ever read. This chart was taken from a book entitled "Taking a Closer Look at Metal Detector Discrimination", by Robert C Brockett. The chart is representative of an analog meter on an older White's detector. But it clearly shows the conductivity levels of various targets being intertwined. Keep in mind that this is a conductivity chart. As such, it only shows targets that will be detected within the non-ferrous notch segments on your X-Terra. Also recognize that the scale used for numbering goes from 0 - 100 on this White's model. The numbers will be different on your X-Terra.
[attachment 78830 ultimatemeterxterraforum.jpg]

The second picture was taken of some of the "keeper" rings I've found. Note the readings I got with my X-70.
[attachment 78831 rings.jpg]
Rings: Front row left to right:
10 Kt small with stones = 34
14 Kt with broken band = 10
14 Kt huge mans ring = 18
10 Kt lady

[attachment 78836 DiscriminationChart.jpg]

HH
BarnacleBill

khouse,

In my area around 40% of the pulltabs ID as 12. In the 99 tones mode, they sound exactly like nickels, although some have a bit of a flutey sound.

HH,
Glenn

Some of my older tabs and square tabs hit at 12. But the majority here is above 12 and below 26. But after finding several gold and silver rings last year I've been digging every repeatable and properly sized target from high foil range up. Sometimes if I don't have much time to detect I get lazy and just disc out everything but coins. I'm hoping my 6 inch dd coil will help me out when it gets here!