Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with "iffy" signals..

jason_in_utah

So do you have some suggestions for so called "iffy" signals. I have taken a ruler and airtested to see where the signal wants to breakup and how the audio responds. When you get to that point of the detectors range digital and smartfind can not be trusted.

So what advice can you give a newbie in determining "iffy" signals.

What do you look for in a deep signal?

When do you dig? Is your decision audio based?

And please don't tell me you get a warm fuzzy feeling deep inside and you just know with all your heart to dig!!! haha...please...

Thanks.

Jason

If I have a iffy one I just dig it and then it is no longer iffy. Remember, your machine is just a guide. You process the info and your shovel is the best discriminator .02

That is the best most straight foward advice I've read.

That is a great way to put it.

HH Alton

Most real deep stuff I've dug the signal tends to read more to the iron side. The iffy signal that gives me trouble is when a good target is laying next to trash and may or may not be deep. I believe this is where the best finds are.

Since you are a new user dig everything. This will help you learn what the target/signal sound like. It's a lot of work and sometimes frustrating but consider it classwork You will be pleasantly surprised a few times also! Use digital and ferrous tones with an iron mask of -12 to -14 to start with.

Cursor movement along with audio variances once you get to know your unit help...but I like Errick's theory and yep sometime that gut feeling produces a nice find...old Sov. wiggle doesn't hurt also...

Jason,

When you air-tested to the point of a broken signal, did you notice that the numbers are close to a good read?

An example, the last Mercury dime I dug that was over 10" showed about five or six different sets of numbers scanning at different angles, but all of them were "close" to a set 03-28/29. It went so far as showing (from most repeatable to last) 11-28, 07-28, 02-28, 00-07, 00-28, 04-27, etc. The most important thing was the 28 & 29, so of course I dug and was rewarded with a nice 28 Merc.

The point is that a lot of "iffy" signals that have a greater chance to be a better target can be determined / assisted by the "closeness" of a known good signal, with silver being one of the easiest to remember for me. Take your time and take in all the readings you get from the different angles and so on. In the field where the following above happens, a lot of trash was dug, but have been rewarded with the older - "better" finds, including a Barbers & IH penny's that have been deep.

Hope it helps, but the others are right, dig it all at first - but either record or store to memory the signals and the variability of them from other good signals, don't get in a hurry to dig as this is important to add to your TH's memory and should improve your percentage a nice bit. If I see a 28 or 29, I dig the puppy most of the time if repeatable.

Krusty (EX II):pulltab::minelab:

Sounds good to me. Just how far do you dig before you shovel decieds it was a bad signal?:goodnight:

Well, I have dug a squashed aluninum can at close to 2 feet once and will probably do it again if I get an "Iffy" that I like