Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with "Dry Periods"

DJR

Some of you have posted that you are "running out of places to detect" or are having "dry periods".Here is what I have been doing to keep that from happening when I get to those times...seeing I am dealing with an endless "honey do list as of late"...I have been compiling a 3 ring binder book (actually books) of all the old houses dating from 1959 to my earliest date 1900 (you could probably go into the early 1960's to still find silver coins but I chose 1959 as a target date) and researching alot of historical data for this county to add to these books.

You can get the plastic insert paper protectors that go in these binders to place your subject homes in at any office supply store or Walmart. If your county has a website that has their GIS mapping option available too you and you search the aerials you can pretty much see older homes this way. Get the section, township, and ranges of these target homes (our addresses) and access your Property Appraisers website to find the info on the target home plus the owners address info for contacting. I write down the home or homes designated letter (home "A", "B", "C", etc..) with the owners name and address info under the letter and under this I put the earliest date shown for the home. The Property Appraisers info should give you the AYB (About Year Built date) and this is what I use for my reference material in these books. Usually you can go back several years and see where older homes were located and replaced with newer homes. Also you may be able to check plat records and such for more possible info for old sites.

I have easily collected over 200 targets in these books so far as of date and I have not completed but 1/5th of the county. The second book I have separated info for county parks, public places of interest, historical areas on private lands, known "hot locations" that may be as simple as a topo map marked with the known location, beaches, boat ramps, fair site locations, special event locations, old maps, historical documents that reveal potential locations, etc...

I will be sending letters in the mail soon to these potential target owners and hopefully a few or more may respond with "yes" to access their properties. After all asking is the first step. This opens a whole lot of options and will keep you from "drying out" with detecting locations.

When I get out of this "home repair/yard upgrade honey do list" I should have many potential places to get out and detect.

Just think of the potentials if you add surrounding county information and locations or other states to this list! You could be very busy for quite a long time.

Don

Here is another option for those who don't want to travel far from their homes and may collect A LOT of change. Another (overwhelming) list I have just started is locating all the road side paper boxes. They are almost on every major intersecting corner and the ones with grass or soft bases are the best for finding lost coins. I have detected a few around my home location and have walked away with several dollars easy from lost coins. The older and longer the paper boxes have been there the the more change may be present! This again could be easily done by using aerial photos such as Google Earth and marking these boxes at the designated intersections and again compiling a book for these spots. This alone could keep one very busy detecting for awhile.

Another option but probably less successful (as they are found on hard surfaces mostly) would be phone booths. If they are located above soft ground the better the potential.

Good luck guys!

Don

good ideas,,it is getting harder to find quite spots to hunt,,it seems every one who owns a dog is around me when I hunt,I love animals but like to be alone when I detect..I've found looking at small parks sometimes give a few coins.

I recently found a new spot where I'm finding 1950's silver,not much but enough to keep hunting...virgin spots are difficult to find in modern cities the old parks are hunted to death,good luck hh oj

Also cross reference the old topo maps to todays information...