Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with Discrimination and Notch controls on the GT?

fedder

Has anyone found more gold rings using the Discrimination and Notch controls with their GT for inland us? Or do you feel these features do not help with better finds? In general do you feel the GT has good in land depth?

iv used a GT for years and love it.i never use the notch or disc.if you notch out pull tabs you WILL notch out some gold rings with it! and that is what im after.but if you are just out for coins,then you wont miss many coins if you notch or disc. i run disc @ 0 and notch @ 0 and dig all. it will null on iron so that is not a problem.

No disc (far left), no notch (far left), sensitivity around 10-12 o clock, max volume, iron mask on, slight threshhold hum, away you go.. :twodetecting:

Thank you for the info. I actually so far found one 14k in a park that has only had silver before. Just wanted to know if there was any way to fine tune the discrimination and notch combo?

[quote fedder]Thank you for the info. I actually so far found one 14k in a park that has only had silver before. Just wanted to know if there was any way to fine tune the discrimination and notch combo?[/quote]

Leave the disc and notch well alone, otherwise you'll be losing stuff..

Rings and other jewelry can hit anywhere in the conductivity range.
Disc and notch set up your detector to REJECT anything within their setting range. They tell your detector to NOT FIND things.
Keep both controls ALL THE WAY DOWN if you don't want to miss jewelry.

HH

Like all the above posters say Disc and nocth all the way to the left if your after Gold.

I was at my local park today with my GT and hit on a target, the meter read it to be ( another Pull tab) But the sound was more of a coin sound (the GT produces a strange tone when over aluminum) 9 out 10 it's aluminum

the meter Read another pull tab or nickel

when I Dug the plug there was a large 14K Ring

Dig it all

Thank you for answering my question here and above to all. I will turn off the discrimination and notch controls.

After you get to know the Sovereign as you see will help you with the gold rings that will read in the alum foil though the pull tab range as you just seen. I have notice the gold rings have a smoother tone to them than trash does, but still easily fool too so you just got to dig many trash items too to get gold. One of the real nice ones I found was a man ring that the meter read where a beaver tail off a older round pull tab on my 180 meter as it read 140-141, but the tone sounded as smooth as a nickle would be, so I dug it. When looking for the odds and ends I dig all the deep signal plus those the sound smoother than a pull tab and got some nice tokens and some rings and other misc items plus some multiple coins together like silver dimes and V Nickles in the same hole. You just got to dig those signals that are different than normal.
Remember if you want depth you have to go slow and listen close to those tones.

Rick

sure plenty have folks have found rings while using the disc, ......I do not use disc or Notch ever, My reasoning is simply because the tone ID is real good with the Sov, Rings tend to have a wide range of styles thick, thin, mixed meatals , stones, no stones they they vary widley as to which ''range'' they fall into, Using any disc or notch while it may still find certian rings, there is surley ones you will miss, also when using disc or notch the tendency for good targets to be ''masked'' goes way up, Although very tempting in a trasy enviorment, I would recomend staying away from using the disc or notch, Keep those two knobs all the way left(counterclockwise) Off ,zip,Nothing ........Granted you will see more trash, but this way you insure the fact that you wont disc out a thin Diamond ring or similar item........Another thing is, Too high a disc and the Sov. will completely knock out an indian head penny.....