Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help with coin or medallion ID

flint

Well, on my second day of detecting, I managed to find something of interest (besides clad and junk)... it's either a coin or medallion dated 1826.

My wife's mother works at a restaurant that's in a renovated train depot, so we decided to do some coil swinging after we went to lunch today, and right off the bat I hit on this object right next to the road poking out of the surface.

It's pretty worn, but I can make out the words 'vtrapvirt protego' (the 'p' is backward in the first word), and the face contains a stylized lion holding a sword, with a crown over it's head, a sword in it's left paw, and two dots under it's belly. It also has a 'F' and an 'M' on either side of the date 1826.

The backside shows a coat of arms that appears to have a crown over the top, and lions in each of the four corners of the coat of arms. I really can't make out the writing on the back too well without cleaning it, but I don't want to clean it if I shouldn't.

I looked up 'Protego' and it means 'to protect' in Latin, so it could be some sort of good luck or protection medallion, since it doesn't appear to have any denominational value on it (which would lead to it being a coin). I attached a photo of both the front and the back so that maybe it would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, though I know it's probably a stretch. I had a good second day out, though... found $1.49 in clad on a gravel bar where people swim in a local river, and this object and a wheat penny at the train depot/restaurant.

Thanks.

It's a Spanish colonial coin from the Philippines. What's the size?

If about quarter size, it is a quarto.

I have seen some on ebay sell for about $10, but I have seen harder to find dates go for more than $250.

Good Hunting!

Actually, it's about the size of a nickel.

Thanks for the help though! I appreciate it mucho. :)

Oh, one other quick question... is there a way to make sure that it's not a fake? This coin is pretty thin, much thinner than I figured a spanish colonial coin would be cast... plus it's also almost perfectly round. Essentially it's about the same size as a nickel and half the thickness... so it could be some sort of reproduction.

Could be, at that. A nickel's 21.2mm; a quarter's 24.3. I believe a quartoof that variety is around 22-23mm