Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help With Carrying Explorer on Airliner

I would like to take my detector with me on my next flight, instead of a multi-thousand mile road trip in order to bring it. Any information you all could provide on carrying an Explorer on a jet under the current rules/climate would be greatly appreciated, as well as your opinions on whether it's worth the hassle. Many thanks. Johnny

Johnny,

You'll need to disassemble the machine and put it in your "CHECKED" luggage. You might have some problems if you're going to use 'CARRY ON" luggage.

Wrap the control head in bubble wrap, just to insure against bumps.

Take your battery holder out of the handle. Take the batteries out. Buy batteries at your destination.

Place the detector between a layer of clothing - just added protection against bumps.

Hope this helps.

Jim

If you are bringing two suitcases put some of it in one and the rest in another. This way less chance of theft and if damage/loss it's not the whole detector. Travelling with detectors is commonplace and security is quite familiar with people bringing them. I used to bring the control head of my X Terra 70 on my carry on along with the manual so they knew what it was. It never got a second look.

A group of fellow detectorists and I travel to England to detect once a year. We have no problem taking our disassembled detectors on board. We feel they won't get broken that way. We bring the battery pack too in case any security people want to check them out. We never have any problems. Might be a good idea to carry a spare in your checked baggage in case of theft, etc. Wrap the delicate areas with bubble wrap or put them between layers of your packed clothing. If you are still a little leery, contact your airport's security department and ask them about it.

I just went to Arizona 10 days ago.I took my detector apart,put it in a old hard Samsonite suitcase with my tools and checked it through with my other bag.On the flight back they went through my suitcase.I think the Lesche digger showed up on the X ray.No problems.Bill

Put a copy of your attinuary(spelling?) flight plans in each luggage bag, incase of loss, they will know where to return it.

Took my XS on several filights to NM about 5 years ago. Had to take my shoes off...all that stuff. Had the machine in a carry on sports bag. It went thru xray no problem Never had to take it out of the bag or explain what it was...I was surprised. My logic...they must see a lot of these things going thru carry on....PS...I've seen luggage loaded before and decided carry on was safer for the machine...Rules may have changed however, with carry on...luggage total and all that stuff.

i just got back from Florida and had no trouble with taking my explorer in my carry on bag.....altho i only got to use the dang thing for 19 minutes on the beach before everyone was asking if i was ready to go... $^^%#@^&%*&#$ :veryangry: so trying to hunt with family waiting is WAY harder than taking your machine on the plane

Did the Bahamas with an Excalibur and scoop. Just put it in the carry on and was never asked a single question about it. Put it in checked baggage your potetntial for theft goes way up. Remember, you don't lock your checked baggage anymore unless you get one of those special TSA locks. Those don't provide much protection because for $3.95 any of the baggage handlers can get the master. Besdides, airline baggage handlers get their training to throw, drop, and kick luggage as an intership before they can graduate to the post office, UPS, or Fed Ex.

As usual, the Forum members come through with great advice, assistance, and so forth. Thank you all so much for the help. Looks like it's not nearly the big deal that I thought it might be, especially considering the recent Homeland Security initiatives. With the airlines now charging for even one bag carried, I am going to have to get creative in functioning for a week or more with only the clothes on my back. Maybe I could wear several changes of clothes when I board the plane, looking sort of like the Michelin Man? Wearing multiple pairs of shoes might be tough though, especially through the XRay/screening area. Oh well. Again, many thanks, and HHing to you all. Johnny

Get one of those golf club hard case shells that lock. Custom cut foam for the detector on the inside. Ive been on many flights that let you bring clubs and it doesn't count against your total baggage weight.

Idaho-Marke - even if you break the Explorer down, doesn't it exceed the maximum carry-on size limits? If not, is there a special way to pack the unit so that it meets this? Just curious. JW

My usual carry-on bag (besides my backpack for under the seat) is sort of a rolling, hard-bottomed duffel bag. Broken down, the Explorer fits in nicely. I've hauled it back and forth to WI a few times without any issues. Think the bag did get checked over one time but I get that periodically anyhow. (Think they do it for practice or randomness or something at times.)

Thanks, Rich. I am really on the fence on whether to fly and carry little to nothing but the Explorer, or take a roadtrip and be able to carry anything and everything I might need (detector, extra coils/rods, extra batteries, charger, Lesche, and on and on). I would probably feel "naked" without all the accessories. Take care, and HHing to you. Johnny

I bought another Lesche to leave at my fiances. As well as some gloves, kneepads, a nail apron (rather than my usual pouch), etc.

I went back east from Utah last year without much problem. I packed the coils in my check bag with a copy of the manual cover on top for explanations. I carried the control box with me. I didn't have any problems until leaving Boston I had to explain what it was to security and they ran it through the x-ray twice. I showed them a copy of the manual but still they were a little nervous.

I appreciate the input, Andrus, and I think you've got a nice system there. Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Take care and HHing to you. Johnny