Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help.which to buy .Fisher f4 or Id Edge

konabikemike

( Posted this the f75-Coinstrike -Id Edge Section sorry if it's in the wrong place so I repost here .sounds like it might get some replys here). Hello to all.have been out of the loop for a few years and need to get back .I have some experience the Fisher id Edge but nothing on the new F4 please those who know .can you please sum up the differences between the two.need to make a choice ,one or the other for purchase.I will be doing 30% fields, 30% beach and the rest in parks and schools and homesteads here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada . Please help.
Mike

forget 'em both!..get the f2,and save some money a great little coin "sniffer" especially in heavy trash!

(h.h!)
j.t.

i agree!..ya got all the 'tools" you need for the trash in the f2!..buy another toy,or two with the difference!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Well .this is not helping much.f2 is too simple.need the ground balance plus++.some usage comparisons is what I'm after and now I'm interested in Xterra 50 or Whites m6 as well.How about a vote of the four which one would you choice to be the first place ,second and so on ,based on what I will be doing with the machine.read the first post to see.

what type of soil will you be hunting?.if it is modeate to low in mineral content,then you really do NOT need ground balancing!..the f2 will get down 8,or 9 inches in that ground!. that's. what is being reported for depth!..been hunting over thirty years,and trust me you DON'T need all those bells and whistles!..the f2 has the RIGHT
combination of "tools" to get ''er done!

(h.h!)
j.t.

The soil in Ontario varies from area to area and then theres the beaches and I have had lots of experience from the past and used lots of top machines and one thing here in Ontario you need a ground balance control to get the best results . like I said it varies and then if I take the machine somewhere on a trip again different conditions .I can only afford to buy one machine and it has to get the job done.
Michael

I would say the edge over the f2,the edge has proven itself to be a great detector,with new detectors its best not to buy them until after a year after they came out. So if theres any nicks they should find them out in a year and straight them out if you know what i mean.HH oneton.

I have both the F4 and M6, if I had to choose one, for me it would be the M6.

The F4 is preset GB in Disc mode, it only has manual GB in all metal auto tune mode, its a nice detector, but if GB is a must its not what you want. I would go with the M6/or an MXT if you want even more control or a used XLT. Or look at the new F5 it has GB to salt in disc mode.

Looks like your getting some great advice, really close to what we discussed in the PM!:clapping:
Let us know what you decide!

RR

Does the f4 coil plug only just plug in or does it have a lock ring so it won't pull out.
Michael

I would wait a few more days and take a hard look at the new F5 when it comes out. In all likelihood, there will be times when you will want or need manual g/b. For what ever reasons I'm not seeing all that many posts of late concerning the F4, but the F2 is rapidly growing in popularity. I have the F75 and from my results with it, I am going to also acquire the F5 when it comes out. You, however, won't go wrong with any of the F series detectors. Good luck with your decision and HH jim tn

I think that I will go with the f4 and it because of that DD coil.it will more than likely do a great job on the beach and in the fields in all metal.it is a newer design and I suspect that it contains some if not all of the same circuit design as the Edge.it is all to similar in its features and it's performance .It might not be. only a guess .in any case it's that coil that's got be interested and the features Oh and the price.any thoughts .
Michael
[I posted to the buying section .looking for one have a read.]

Try to hold out and justify the few extra dollars of the F-5. To me, having MGB in conjunction with a separate user adjustable threshold based all metal is pretty much a minimum on a true mult-use/multi site detector. I hunt primarily with an F-75 and have so since they first came out. Any more, I usually check the target (if deep and "iffy") in all metal if I'm hunting in discriminate mode. MUCH more important size and shape and true location info provided in all metal to use in the dig/don't dig equation. I do like all the "old" Los Banos Fishers as well as the newer lower end F series units, and I can attest from personal use to the fact that they all work well but the fact that they don't have the threshold adjustment completely separate from the sensitivity drives me crazy! :ranting: Especially when I was recently reminded just how important this was when hunting highly mineralized ground in VA recently. Granted, the CC coil on the F-5 will be all that's available for awhile, but I'd bet a DD will come soon and in the interim, one can always raise a CC coil up to get better target isolation/separation. I really doubt that Fisher will build another coil specific "bastard child" like the T-2 that only has one coil of one type available for the lang term.

Mike,

I agree with Jim and Brad on the F5 advise. If the Edge and other detectors did OK for you in those conditions, you don't need to worry about the F5 having a concentric coil. I seriously doubt the F4 has enough gain on small stuff to make it a serious goer for beach/jewlery hunting with its DD coil. I like DD coils for beach hunting but the detector better have lotsa gain to make it worth while.

Tom

Well .I finally figured it out .Fisher or first Texas is marketing there machines to fast and to many with the Fisher label in the bid to have the best machines or the most new ones .First Texas should not do this as you know what will happen is the others in the Fisher line up will start to vanish and then you will only see the cheaper build new Fisher[bounty hunter] ,while everyone else is having no serious problems ,"Why fix it if it ain't broke "better marketing decision and from what I read the only great offering from Fisher[bounty hunter] rite know is the F75 still with over sensitive circuits but still good machine and expensive more than I want to spend. So I have decided to go with tried and true Whites M6 Why fix it if it ain't broke .there are other reasons .please don't take this the wrong way I have in the past owned a few fishers (cz20,excel,edge,1266,cz7,cz5)
all where top notch and built to last .sorry but all that will soon come to and end ,money and marketing [very bad decisions].Whites m6 on the way.thank you all for your help,comments and PM's it all help in the end.
Happy Hunting to all
Michael