Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help? Thanks... what is the best, strongest, lightest weight for long hours of beach water digging for a long handled scoop?

love to dig

I'll be searching 10hrs a day in beach water about up to 2 feet high with DFX. I need a place to buy a long handled scoop fast!
Can anyone recc. a place to buy one now and which is best for my needs? thanks again

Any scoop will be heavy after 10 hrs, i use the nuttall but drag it for that reason, if you go aluminium its a trade of against strength/wear vs Weight, RTG have both types ally/SS and varios models too, they have link at the top of the page as are Forum Sponsors www.rtgstore.com

thanks for the help do you think a scoop that comes a part is good? Also, I am 5'8" what length scoop is best for me since I need one fast and can't be there to hold it.

If you travel maybe the two part handle would be ok, if not you could always weld it, mine has a 40" and 48"fiberglass the 40" is a bit short for me(i notice it more when in the water) and i'm like you 5' 8". the RTG ones i think are all 47" when ready to use.

PS, be carefull with the dfx in the water, a freak wave, slip or drop and its dead

Where are you located? I would try and find a local detector store that way you can try them out & purchase immediately. I liked VB Max's in his videos, not real big but lite, fast and efficient. If you have the time, Starv's scoops look very lite weight and look strong, but from Russia..you are looking at 6 weeks.
I have several scoops {5} , like my SS the best,................... but for travel & lite for the long days.. my bab's el tora, it breaks down, it's aluminium, with a SS tip. But by far,....Titanium is the way to go, but find me someone that sells them and I will purchase one also.

Here's max in action with his scoop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNjg_-aKeg

Thank you SO much for the youtube MD videos! I leearned alot watching them. I thought only 'I' would be rigging ties and strings and straps up to my gizmo Now I see they all do it! Good! Im thinking of buying the RTGStore.Com's model RTGBBtv6 Aluminum Scoop 6" x 11" basket and comes apart in 2 pieces for travel on planes, a must. Weighs 4.5 pounds. Anyone think this is a good or bad scoop... it's $139.00 $151.00 with shipping. Anyone know where it's cheaper? thanks again all

DFX and WATER do not mix!!!!!

NEVER EVER raise your loop above the control box... IT WILL FRY. Been there done that.

order a Nuttalls and forget the rest.I got mine in about 3 days-ppaled the money -got conformation/tracking# next day and it was here two days later -as said ya can't have light weight and strength-just buy a Nuttall its the best on the market-and ya won't be disappointed or searching for another in a year

too late since not many helped I had to order one... I got an aluminum one comes in 2 pieces 6x11" basket huge perfect only 150.00 thanks though

oh forgot.... I saw the NUTTAIL and it looks like a wooden handle I'd snap that pulling up wet sand in a heratbeat. If it's fiberglass they need to say so in their pictures... oh well mine is aluminum handle too cant beat that imo

the nuttall has fiberglass handles, great on cold mornings as its not as cold to the touch as ally or SS

I posted this earlier in the "Warm Glove" thread. I use a 20+ year old beach brute. So long ago, I believe I bought it from Kellyco, almost sure. It's aluminum. I added a grab handle by drilling a hole and bolting on a makeshift handle. I but a Schwinn rubber grip over the grab handle. But a few weeks ago, I decided that I'd insulate the aluminum handle areas and it has added a great comfort factor.The larger outer diameter now creates no problems at all. Here is a pic. I used 1" pipe insulation from Home Depot at $1 per bag. I used plastic Zip Ties to secure the foam at the ends. No problem. gets wet, no problem. That cold freeze from the metal now never reaches my gloves or hand. Try it for any of you using SS or Aluminum Diggers. They also make smaller diameter foam insulation. Land diggers using T handle or ball handle diggers like Lesche ought to try this too. When I get my Samson from Lesche, it's the first thing I'll add! We Astro Telescope users have added this insulation to our strut poles of our big Dobsonian Telescopes for years! Metal falls below ambient air temps and even in mild temps, the metal gets very cold.

By the way, I am getting back into detecting but I had used this Beach Brute with my PI Treasure Hunter from Whites many years ago. Man, I had to dig EVERYTHING with the PI !!! And , pinpointing is so difficult. I was digging in Chesapeake Bay where bottom becomes clay and is hard and heavey, and this digger held up. Sometimes I'd have 10 digs to recover the rusty junk I was digging up 15 " deep and made holes like 2 feet wide, so this scoop is a good one. I may get a second SS unit too. With the stuff I may have to dig in, I'd never consider a wooden handle scoop. Maybe fiber glass??? Still, I'd stick with SS or heavy gauge aluminum. This aluminum handle has 1/4" gauge aluminum used. It's tubing, not solid but the thickness of the gauge is 1/4" I found this out when I removed the top white rubber cap. I imaginne all stainless is quite heavier. Good way to work out and make money at the same time!
Russ

Nice movie , Old beachnut ,he was getting all the action ,the best of both worlds ,might have to hit Va beach lol Big Earl

Nuttall is awesome. I crank on that handle sometimes and it holds its integrity nicely.