Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP! SunRay X-8 vs. Coiltek Joey 5x10???

sangamon

SE stock coil has a short. i had a funny feeling about all that falsing, and now it's unbearable!
i'm using my 5" Excelerator as a backup until i find out about warranty service.
i don't normally use the 5" for lack of coverage, but slightly larger would be ideal.
i think it's time to buy one or the other, X-8 or Joey...but not both!
how do they compare to each other--and to the stock 10.5"???

hey ean bill the guy i hunt with has both of those and he hardly ever takes off the stealth8x ...i have used his joey coil and its HEAVY man..i guess ya could swing it all day but your swingin arm is gonna be HUGE at the end of hunting season swingin it tho..might send him a pm and see what he has to say...:thumbup:

[quote Neil]I[/quote] well i have used both and the joey is considerably heavier....when we hunt its usually from sun rise to sunset and i can tell you that after using the joey that long my arm is tore up...not so for the x8 tho

[quote sangamon]...so what do you use?[/quote] i have the stock 10 and also the ml8 and stealth 12x ...seems to cover most of the places we hunt...but i would like to try the excellerator 6 tho for some of the more trashy places that the ml8 even has trouble with

Gary I have the Platapus coil, not the Joey. The Sunray X-8 is my preferred coil as the depth is in the 8 to 9" range and the coil is lighter than the stock or the joey. Definately lighter than the Platty. Give Joe Demarco a call as he is a top notch dealer and also a forum sponsor.

HH BiLL IL

[quote BiLL IL]Gary I have the Platapus coil, not the Joey. The Sunray X-8 is my preferred coil as the depth is in the 8 to 9" range and the coil is lighter than the stock or the joey. Definately lighter than the Platty. Give Joe Demarco a call as he is a top notch dealer and also a forum sponsor.

HH BiLL IL[/quote] oh ok sorry i was mistaken......ean my bad dude

neil i owe you an appology as well my friend sorry bout that

The Joey Coil isn't Heavy at all! This Coil is very well balanced and is Very Lightweight to use and your arm will not get tired swinging it. I'm not sure, but you maybe you're thinking of the Platypus Coil made by Coiltek or the Heavy 15" WOT Coil Minelab Marcus. One thing the Joey Coil is not, is Heavy. I find it to be a great Coil and the Second Coil I use in my Arsenal in the search of Silver Coins during the Hunting Season. I just read Bill's reply that he has the Platypus Coil. I thought that was what you thought was the Joey Coil Minelab Marcus. Don't worry though, you are only human and mistakes are common to us all! :biggrin: The only down side to the Joey Coil is that it isn't Waterproof. Coiltek is going to fix this problem sometime this year with a updated model so keep a look out for it. I get great Separation and great Depth with my Joey. I have dug 10" with it and have dug Tons of Silver from well worked Sites that other Explorer's have pounded so the Joey Coil is definitely a Coil to think about purchasing if you search in Trash Laden Sites. I know I would be lost without my Joey Coil. The Sunray X-8 is also a great Coil but my Joey keeps proving to me time and time again that it's one Hot Coil for finding Silver Coins amongst Trash and Iron where other Larger Coils cannot search through. Good Luck and HH. :thumbup:

[quote James N.D.]The Joey Coil isn't Heavy at all! This Coil is very well balanced and is Very Lightweight to use and your arm will not get tired swinging it. I'm not sure, but you maybe you're thinking of the Platypus Coil made by Coiltek or the Heavy 15" WOT Coil Minelab Marcus. One thing the Joey Coil is not, is Heavy. I find it to be a great Coil and the Second Coil I use in my Arsenal in the search of Silver Coins during the Hunting Season. I just read Bill's reply that he has the Platypus Coil. I thought that was what you thought was the Joey Coil Minelab Marcus. Don't worry though, you are only human and mistakes are common to us all! :biggrin: The only down side to the Joey Coil is that it isn't Waterproof. Coiltek is going to fix this problem sometime this year with a updated model so keep a look out for it. I get great Separation and great Depth with my Joey. I have dug 10" with it and have dug Tons of Silver from well worked Sites that other Explorer's have pounded so the Joey Coil is definitely a Coil to think about purchasing if you search in Trash Laden Sites. I know I would be lost without my Joey Coil. The Sunray X-8 is also a great Coil but my Joey keeps proving to me time and time again that it's one Hot Coil for finding Silver Coins amongst Trash and Iron where other Larger Coils cannot search through. Good Luck and HH. :thumbup:[/quote] yea i was wrong i thought it was the joey but it wasnt ...my mistake man

the Joey: not being waterproof IS a problem, and weight not being a big issue for me... i might see about the upgraded version later.

i've all but decided on the X-8 for now... and BiLL, i'll probably call Joe DeMarco like you said.

could you tell me about any differences between the stock 10.5" and the X-8?

how would the MineLab 8" stack up against the Stealth 8"???

i really appreciate the advice!

OK, I'm late to this thread -

I own several coils for my Explorer.

The Joey is my primary general use coil. I've had great luck with the coil - thanks again to James_ND for the info on it, and Rick_ND for selling it to me. I've waterproofed the coil by loading the cable stress relief with silicone, wiping silicon around the stress connection boot, and keeping the coil cover connection to the coil wrapped with electrical tape.

The x8 is by secondary coil. There are some very old parks in Omaha, and when I get down that way and have time on my hands I always hit one of the parks in particular and I've yet NOT to walk away without deep silver and/or wheat's in my pockets.

I own the Excellerator 6" coil and the x12 coil and I've not had the opportunity to swing either yet. I bought both of them over the winter, our frost has just broken and I'm getting very excited to get on both of them. Thank-you Bryce_IL for the advice on the 6", I'm sure it will find a place in most used ranks.

I own the MLEx2-1050 and I'm having some technical difficulty with it presently - thanks a lot for the PM Christopher-Ohio, I got your PM & have responded, I'll take your advice, and I'm 100% positive that things will work out in the end.

And as one would figure I own the Slimline-10 that came with my SE. I've only had instance where it gave me trouble, that was when I was swinging a wet volleyball sandpit, got the coil covered in sand, rinsed it off under a pump and it went totally dead. I remembered the sticky note from Minelab stating to wash out the coil cover and the bottom of the coil - that fixed it.

In close I'm sure you'll be very happy with the x8 - I am. If you can come across a good used Joey you should consider picking it up, it's a pleasure to swing.

Take care and good luck,
Doug M.

thanks to you, too, Doug- that was a pretty good summation of your arsenal.

James & Bryce both post some great finds with the Joey, and with the Excelerator 6".
since i have the Excelerator 5" i won't buy the 6", not right now, although i hear there is a big difference in performance.

and the Joey, not being waterproof, and with a supposed upgrade coming soon, i'll have to pass on it as well.
(it looks as if you've gone to a lot of trouble to seal it yourself!)

i like what i've heard about the SunRay Stealth X-8.
i'd still like to get a comparison between the MineLab 8" & the Stealth X-8...