Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP PLEASE Don't know what to buy?

dugpenny

I want to buy a Tesoro but can't decide on which model. I have $700 to spend and am looking to do coin and relic hunting.

I had my eye on the Tejon but somebody said the Nautilus IIB is better. Has anybody here used these two or one of the two?

I also like the looks of the Cortes and DeLeon.

I'm confused???? What should I buy?

Penny

i think your best bet would be to talk to a tesoro dealer.i never had a nautilus but i think they are mostly used for relics.i have a cortes and think that it is one of the best coin machines i have ever owned.and i have several tesoros and other makes.the soil is good here so depth is not a problem.a good dealer would help you.there are quite a few that sponsor this forum i think they would help you. best of luck on your choice.

Have you ever detected before? If not maybe a Cibola would be a great start. Then you'll have a lot of money left over for a small coil, digger, headphones, pinpointer and pouch.

I bought a Deleon. I got it, put it together and was finding coins in less than 10 mins! So far I have only used the Deleon for about two hours but I have 1 clad quarter, 1 clad dime, 13 zinc pennies, 1 9 inch aluminum nail, 1 whatzit? and I have only dug one item that the machine did not accurately id. By the way the quarter was found at 8 inches! Not bad in my opinion. The only complaint I have is no backlight. When it is dark you have to stop. The detector was very easy to learn, is very light and very well balanced. Pinpointing is super easy and accurate! Hope this helps.

I have used/owned: a vaquero, cibola and presently own a deleon. You can't loose either way. They are all great machines. If you are going to primarily coin hunt, I would suggest the deleon, the TID and depth reading is really nice to have when coin hunting. If you have nasty soil in your area you may want to get the vaquero since it has a manual ground balance. WOnderful to use, lightweight and well made machines. Buy used and get some extra coils. I would suggest a 5.75 inch coil for whichever machine you get, especially for coin hunting in the parks. All of that being said any of the machines would do the job for you in fine order.

Not trying to start any detector wars but a Nautilus is heavy and has a long learning period with a two year warranty.
On the other hand Tesoro's are lightweight and easier to learn and offer a lifetime warranty..
You have two choices Cortes and DeLeon if you need an ID detector that is compatible for coins and relics.
Or a Tejon that is non ID which is basically a relic detector that could be used for coins...
Might be a good idea to vist a Tesoro dealer for firther info...

If you dont have a dealer near you, I would be happy to help decide what would be best for the type of hunting you wish to do. If you email me your phone number, I would be happy to call you and discuss the options available to you.

Gene Scullion
badgermd@tds.net

Thanks to everyone! I really appreciate your comments and help.

I decided not to go with Nautilus although I'm sure they can be good detectors.

I almost bought the Cortes but if I did I know I'd always be wondering about the depth of the Tejon :)

I do sometimes hunt relics in fields and woodlots so I figured the "Animal" was probably best for me.

Yes, I've detected for years and have used manual ground balance machines before.

The Cibola and Deleon both sound great to me and I also liked that Golden and Lobo but can only afford one machine. Wouldn't it be great to be rich and just use them all all day long? :)

In the end depth and that dual discrimination thing won the day. Some of my stuff runs real deep. If I can't reach the stuff I sure can't find it.

Thanks again to all!

dugpenny