Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help picking coils for Whites MXT

BCJohn

Hi I am new here looking at getting a White mxt need help on deciding which coil to get mxt 300 with 12" or mxt 9.5 . And advice on some of the other coils available like 4x6 DD, 5.3 and 6x10 and there advantage.
Thank You John

I've got all the coils you mention and use them all depending on the hunting conditions. Here's a quick rundown on my observations and opinions.

4X6 - great for very trashy areas and for getting close to playground poles, metal fences etc. Must hunt slowly and methodically as the coverage is small and while not a depth demon, deep enough for coins to 5-6" . Fun coil to use.
5.3 - good in trashy areas, better coverage than the 4X6 and surprisingly good depth for its size. Actually is a very good coil to leave on for much of your detecting. Monte loves it.
6X10 - good ground coverage, decent depth and good target separation for its size, the Double D configuration is a plus in higher minetalization. Also a good coil to leave on for a good share of your detecting and my personal favorite.
9.5" - Good coverage, very good depth, but in some of the trashy parks I hunt, it doesn't separate between targets as well as I prefer.
12" - plenty of coverage, very good depth, but again isn't all that great in trashy areas.

Over the years, i've found that I use and get generally better results for coin shooting and general detecting purposes using the standard and smaller coils. When I first started the "bigger is better/deeper" notion prompted me to purchase several larger coils, but ultimately except for hunting in pretty clean areas or situations where that extra inch or two of depth may really matter, they spend more time in the closet or vehicle than on the detector. All this is my personal opinion and observations, others may differ.
Hope this is helpful.
BB

I have the 6X10 dd and I would feel comfortable saying I really dont need my 5.3 any longer. The 6x10 is my new favorite and it does quite well in trashy areas. I would suggest the 6x10 dd and a 12 x 15 sef. Thats just my opinion though. Sometimes you need to just try a few out and if you dont like them sell them in the classifieds on this website. The coils sell pretty fast.

my two cents,
Jim

Just want to say thank you to all who answered my question on mxt coils,I have learned some very helpful information thanks. John

Hi John I use the 6X10 DD and the 4X6 DD also use the 950 whites coil and my favorite coil which most others don't use is the detech 8 inch DD coil . What I wanted to mention that no one else did was that my DD coils seem to run a lot smoother than the 950 does and by it doing that its not as noisy, I think its because they handle the ground conditions some better . But they are all good coils its just what you try and like the best personally . You will love the MXT its a great machine .

Harold