Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help needed U.S. Dog tag

UKCraig

Hi,
I am looking for some help here. A few years back my brother found a dog tag in England. We have managed to get a few details from it with the help of a few guys on a U.K. forum but not close enough to i.d. the family or even the soldier himself. I would like to return the tag but can't get any further information. I tried a couple of local papers over there but had no replies..........not even to say 'no we can't help'.
Here is the tag and details I have.
Robert E Jones
34041517 T42
Mrs C Jones
1237 Prutton Ave Columbus Ohio

The following enlistment information was obtained from the US National Archives website...

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER: 34041517
NAME: JONES ROBERT E
RESIDENCE: STATE - TENNESSEE
RESIDENCE: COUNTY - ROBERTSON
PLACE OF ENLISTMENT: FT OGLETHORPE GEORGIA
DATE OF ENLISTMENT: DAY 10
DATE OF ENLISTMENT: MONTH 04
DATE OF ENLISTMENT: YEAR 1941
TERM OF ENLISTMENT: Enlistment for the Philippine Department
SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL: Civil Life
NATIVITY: TENNESSEE
RACE AND CITIZENSHIP: Negro, citizen
EDUCATION: 2 years of high school View
CIVILIAN OCCUPATION: ACTOR
MARITAL STATUS: Single, without dependents
COMPONENT OF THE ARMY: Selectees (Enlisted Men

I have no information for you, UK, on that DOGTAG. I just find it interesting that the news media was'nt interested in helping you locate a WWII solders family. I would think that the US Military would be able to help you, though.Good luck with your search.

Thanks Fred, the problem with the U.S. Millitary is that they say that all items fouind are the property of them and has to be returned. The reasoning behind this is to stop someone trying to sell a forgery to any remaining relatives. As I intend to send it to the family free if located I think that it would be better for me to keep it until I can return it.
Craig.

n/t

.... it will either end up in some drawer in a government basement or in some private collectors display. Perhaps you can "google" all the newspapers in Tennessee and send them your info.

Thanks M8 for trying to get the dogtag back to the family. I read your post on UK Detectornet a few weeks ago. Hope you find the family. Ed SW Fla

Thanks Ed I have just got a new lead on it. Where he enlisted there was only 1 regiment there, the 6th (mechanised) Cavalry group. Who just happened to be in the U.K. where it was found practicing for the D-Day landings. It looks like this might be the info I needed to get somewhere. I am awaiting a reply from the 6th's web master. I am sure he will have the contacts needed.
Craig.