Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help needed please!

bottyburp

Can anyone give me any advise please. I live in the UK & find quite a lot of hammered & Roman coins but this is with my Whites machine.
I have a Quattro MP which has probably had less then 6 hours use since new.
It gives me constant noise & seems to give me a lot of "Ghost Signals" that just dissapear when digging them, I have bought the book by Andy Sabisch but still don't have any joy & have confined it to my cupboard!
After trying several different modes & crossmixing I still don't seem to find many targets & I have even passed the search coil over Roman Coins on the surface but the Quattro hasn't even seen them!
Help!!!

you will get a barrage of signals, but I'd Use All meral mode, ferrous tones, with the sensitivity turned down about 10, which stabilises the detector, then dependant on ground conditions, try lifting the sensitivity up as you go. But it's also very important to try out your own test garden for objects you're likely to retrieve. so you learn what tones you're likely to get for a good target. With this type of detector, you have to learn how to read the signals and tones you get, and what they tell you as far as good and bad targets are concerned. This does take time and practice, and six hours is not enough to get there with it. When I started out, I worked with the detector every day for an hour or so, till I became accostomed to the barrage of signals, and they bagan to take on meaning for me, as I dug the targets up. Ghosting signals happen if there's electrical interferrence, or other, and noise cancelling helps to adjust the computer to compensate for the ground and air conditions. Don't know about everyone else, but I truly beleive air conditions can make a difference in the performance in stability. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. On a windy day, the detector can 'play up' a little. But I think there's a bit more to it, than I can explain.
One other thing you'll learn as you go is, sometimes in relic hunting, and somtimes in coin hunting, you'll get negative numerical reading for a good target, because it's been affecting by the ground conditions, or because the ground is wet, or the target lies on it's edge, and there are many other variables. But again, it takes time and practice. To anyone who has a Quattro, I'd say stick at it, don't give up, put the time into it to learn your machine properly, and you'll be rewarded with the finds you get. I know, I've had mine and am using it extensively since last year April, and found many wonderful things with it. It's well and truly paid for itself. Hope some of this has helped you!
Angela:):detecting::minelab:

Sounds like you have the sensitivity way too high for the conditions,reduce it down to 10 or less untill the ghost signals disapear,USE ALL METAL MODE ALL THE TIME,forget about using disc on this detector as the recovery speed is too slow,the worst thing you could do is use high disc mode with high sensitivity.

As far as getting no signal on roman coins on the surface well that's hard to explain,was there a big lump of iorn under the surface?,maybe you had notched it out by accident?

The Quattro is an excellent detector in all metal mode with the sensitivity set correctly for the conditions,most important is to dig -1,-2,-3,-4 signals as these will be deep/faint non ferrous,many of your best finds will give these numbers!

At least I think it was the trash mode that helpled my Quattro have a faster recovery speed. Sold it last year.

Paul (Ca)

I use the coin and jewelry mode and have my sensitivity at 10 most the time. I think I do just fine with it that way, and will continue with it that way until I get more used to the sounds and ids coming out of this detector. The slow return is not much of a problem for me. I think before you use the all metal mode, you should try it in the coin mode or coin and jewelry mode, and definitely, set sensitivity at 10. I do think you have the sensitivity up to a high number and need to back it down. Using just the coin mode will limit the amount of signals you receive and make it easier to use it and get used to it. Once you get used to the different signals, then you can jump to all metal mode. Sometimes it is better to go slowly into the pool, then to jump in all the way.

Dear bottyburp, I can't figure why your haveing such problems, especiall when you have Andy's book. That's the "bible" on the Quatro. The only thing I can think is you're either doing something wrong or your detector has a serious malfunction of some kind. I own a Quatro, and that detector can find anything that is metal, find it deep, and tell you pretty closely what kind of metal it is. I'd do some serious question asking, re-reading, and the like.