Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help my coil is floppy on my Explorer 2:coiltec::minelab:

Pal Al

Any body have a solution to this problem? I just brought a platypus coil for my Explorer 2 and when installing it on the lower shaft I find that just using the stock washers on the shaft end are not enough to "anchor" the coil in place. It just wants to move without help. And it is impossible to add the supplied rubber washer that came with the coil because the fit is too tight. I've hear of using soapy water to get the extra washer to slip into place and thereby adding much needed friction. What say you all? Suggestions, ideas, comments...?:twodetecting::yo:

Your problem is only one of them. However you can do 1 or 2 things to fix that problem. You can take a hair dryer to it or you can put it in a hot truck in the sunlight like what was done to mine and tighten up the bolt and wingnut as the temp. increases over a few days. The lugs are slanted and the bolt bends up due to the fact the holes are drilled off center. If you take a hair dryer to it be careful that you don't overheat the ears (lugs). You cannot use the wide standard black coil bolt and nut on this coil. You have to use the 1/4" plastic bolt and wingnut which you can get at any Lowes or Home Depot. That is what I use on mine. BTW the only reason the tape is around the coil cover and coil is because if you take the tape off the coil cover will fall off the coil. The coil cover is to big.

IF you hunt much with it it is going to tare and sand, dirt, and water is going to get into the coil. That is going to cause problems. So when it starts to get torn and you see tares in the tape you might as well take it off. You will have to zip tie the coil on with a couple of them. :rofl:

Biggest piece of junk I ever bought. The only thing it has over the stock coil is the Exp is a little better balanced. Period. A real waste of money. If you can get your money back and get you a 10X14" excellerator coil. 100% better then the Platypus coil.

I am stuck with this coil as I would never sell such a piece of junk to anyone. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but some things are good and some things are bad. Since you already got it though that is your fix. Even when you get the ears (lugs) heated up your bolt is going to have a bend in it. BTW I have Serial # 20 so it was one of the first ones made. Maybe yours won't be as bad as mine is.

Sorry; :thumbdown: on the Platypus coil. That is your fix though and it will tighten it up so it won't flop. Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

Wow, well I fixed my wobble with a solution offered by the folks at Detector Depot where I brought this coil, so thats not an issue. As to your problems with the coil, what can I say... Around my neck of the woods the excellerator coils are looked on as junk and the coiltek as the quality item. I am beginning to believe that this is some form of regional mass psychosis:rage: and what work for you, works for you and if it doesn't, it doesn't :yikes: As for me, only time will tell. I do like the 8" X-8 that is a smokin' coil:clapping:
And BTW thanks for the reply. All input is appreciated.
HH
Al

You can get them at the hardware or Lowes. They look kind of like cardboard but are much tougher. You can take a sander to them if they are too thick. That way you get the perfect fit. They really grip too.
Hope this helps - HH BF

trying to help. I did not even post the rest of the bad news. I will even add that the Sunray 12" and the standard 10.5" coil are better coils then the Platypus coil head to head. Just thoughht I would add some more Psychosis for you. Now how do I know that. I tested them head to head on 50 targets with flags,each coil seperate, over a two day period and dug the the targets. I won't tell you the results since you seem to think what I am saying is some kind of Psychosis. So I am going to back my Psychosis self out of here and go hunting with my bad old junk 4X7" excellerator coil, on my SE and see what I can dig out of the iron trash. :D: :D: :rofl: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

Little rubber washers on my New GT without the switches sliding back in the hole. :rofl: . Not till I stop laughing at your Post. Thank you. I needed that. Tooooooooo Funny. OK back to Lurking and putting this GT together with my 8" coin search coil on. Wouldn't you know it, I get a new machine and it is going to be raining the rest of the week down here. My Luck. :crazy: :bouncy: Think I will put a big baggie on it and go anyway. :shrug: Thanks for the big laugh. We old guys get a little cranky sometimes. :rofl::D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil

That is one cool posting, the animation that is. Thanks for making my day and Happy Hunting and may all your low tones be gold.
Peace
:super:
BTW... someone must have dumped that original "Sorry I posted..." post! Hmm, I'm not offended, but if it makes the moderator happy.:surrender: Any way the post is correct in that what works for you works for you. It may or may not work for someone else, but be that as it may I take all advise, for which I have requested with a grain of salt, knowing that none of us are right all the time, nor are we perfect. Knowledge is power, but only when used or shared. Thanks for all the useful bits of information and I'll let you know just how the coil works out, if the story is print worthy.
Ciao for Now
:biteme:
(i just love ^ that smile, don't mean ill by it, I just like it!)

Tinfoil, I meant that as a hilarity as in that some mad wizard ( Harry Dresden maybe) has put us under a spell to make us belive what he wanted us to believe regardless of the truth. Around here in the very left coast of this great nation the coils made for and sold by that very large dealer in Florida are not well regarded! Hope that explains it a little better.:blink::poke:

As they say out on your coast. Everything is cool Dude. :thumbup: :D: :D: Later and let me know how that coil works out. Mine still Sucks but, it don't flop around now. :rofl: Later Jerry aka Tinfoil

and not wanting to get into a flaming or slanging match with ANYONE BUT for me it was the 10X14" Excellerator coil that I received just recently, that had it's ear-lug holes in the wrong location. I had to re bore these holes which was the only way I could get to use it. Easy enough to do BUT a real silly oversight by the manufacturer. I was also thinking at the time I was having to re-bore these holes in the 10X14" Excellerator what - #$%^&*^^%%- piece of junk this is.

I overcame what I consider a minor problem of the Platypus coil cover not fitting too snugly onto the coil by using a very limited amount off silicone sealant in place of the white tape around in and around the edges of where it sits on the coil proper. It works absolutely perfect as a long term fix. I agree that this to, is an oversight by this coil manufacturer. If they ever want to redeem themselves on this front , you'd think by now they would have issued a replacement. I use the Platypus for underwater detecting and land detecting. The bolt hole problem I over came with using a NON magnetic stainless wing nut and washer assembly. Thinnest and appropriate length screw or hex head possible will do.
NON magnetic/nonferrous and non detectable stainless steel does not cause ANY problems with Explorers performance. It can' be detected so how can it cause any problems?

Grant you that this solution is a little difficult to accept and maybe a BETTER solution should have been shipped to us in the first place.
I get by and it's a great coil. :thumbup:

Like you mentioned the Platypus is better balance BUT also , I think, performs better. In my opinion and as an owner of a the 10X14" Excellerator, though it MAY have it's advantages( none of which I have yet found). There seems to be very little difference between the performance of these two coils when used with any of the Explorers lines I have. I might have a little bias as I purchased and have used the Platypus for a lot longer than the 10X14" Excellerator. I did expect some level of difference in depth but have not seen any. I do absolutely get a depth difference and stability with the 15 inch WOT ALL other coils but nothing from the 10X14" Excellerator over the Platypus.

For me the Platypus is a very good choice OVER the 10X14" Excellerator.

If I ever decide to sell the 10X14" Excellerator coil it will be with the modified elongated ear-lug holes. These parts could never be replaced by a retrofit. Sure the cover fits better in this coil, BUT it to is required to be removed once every often to be cleaned out unless one silicones it in as well. It's cover will still let water and dirt in regardless of it's tight and snug fit. This could lead to a false sense of security when it comes to remove the dirt and moisture as it could be misconstrued that this cover does not need to be removed....as often as a loose fitting one. I would actually silicone seal 10X14" Excellerator as well if my amount and type of detecting required it.

If I ever sell the Platypus it'll be as a water proofed coil that required the coil cover to be replaced IF it ever gets worn out and there would not to be a worry about water or dirt between the coil and it's sacrificial protecting cover. It can be replaced with alteration to the coil and the silicone seal is very easy break/cut and to replace. It would be sold with the stainless or 1/4 nylon/plastic bolt assembly.

I feel out of what you or I or anyone have said, it certainly looks like both coil manufacturers have made and are maybe still making mistakes in the manufacturing of some of their products, but I don't feel too comfortable about putting them down so openly unless they have refused to help out with a remedy that addresses problems in their products.

David Di :beers:

Sorry to here your not happy with the PLatypus. I did remove the tape and siliconed my cover on. That took care of any dirt getting inside. That was last year some time when I did that. It is still holding tight. Otherwise, I like it better over the stock so much I sold my stock coil. The platypus is working great in water or out. Maybe I got a Wednesday coil? I will put on the EQ2 12 inch once I go through an area with the platypus. Targets 10 inches or deeper ring up a little better on that one.

Jimb SE WI

My friend Dave says that experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted. Seems like we both have lots and lots of experience.:rofl::cheers::lmfao:

I compaired the old stock coil I had on my Exp ll and the Platypus coil. Marked 50 targets. 25 with the standard coil and 25 with the Platypus. After doing all the switching around and putting up with the flopping coil and doing all the compairing. The stock coil Had more depth, had better clearer tones on the targets and would ID deeper with more accruate ID. I was so disgusted I just put it over in the corner of the garage. It stayed there a couple of years. Warrenty was out. Sent it out to Doc and and since it was out of warrenty he was kind enough to heat it up some and get the flop out of it. He did not have to do anything for me but he is a good guy and I like Doc. He did what he could for me since it was out of warrenty. The only reason I even messed with it is I wanted to try it out on my SE but I forgot how bad it flopped and would not line up due to the ears being misaligned and bent.

I don't get on here to start problems or to be negitive. It comes out that way sometimes but I figuar the guys here and all the Forums have a right to know when things give problems and don't work. Hell some of them are so new they don't even know if there machine is working right or not. I don't like my Platypus coil for the reasons I posted and love my 10X14" Excellerator coil. You are just the opposite. At least what we are doing is giving true opinions of things that are great and the ones that are giving us problems. Without that kind of stuff we would never know what is right and what is not.

Anyway I have Posted way to much on these Forums lately. One thing about me though I don't get anything for free. I have to pay good money for everything I buy. If it don't work right I say it don't. If it works great I say it works great.

Since I got a new SE when they first came out and got rid of my XS and exp ll I have not used the Platypus on the SE yet. I just have not gotten around to testing it against my stock 10" SE coil. That is such a pain in the butt to do. I am hoping it will do better then the stock coil as the stock coil falses like a big dog on the beaches I hunt. I just use the 10X14" Excellerator coil and you can drag it on the beach in that wet black sand and it won't false coil.

I took the coil cover off the Platypus and put the Marine Epoxy on it since I like to do shallow water hunting with it. That solved the coil cover problem.

I have a joey coil and I love it. Sealed it up and hunt the water all the time with it. Excellent coil and works great on the SE.

I went and looked at my 10X14" coil and the holes in mine are straight and I even use the black M/L nut and bolt and no bend. It don't flop, and never has, even though it is heaver. Just turn it around and it will balence better. We should not have to do things like that to make things work better. :shrug:

I agree with you on the manufactures problems.

I just put my new M/L GT together. Well almost. The bottom shaft lock pin is drilled 90 degrees out. So I guess it never ends. :thumbdown: Now I either got to call them or drill and fix it myself. I will call them and tell them of there problem and hopefully they will start checking them a little closer. I don't like the way it is mounted they should have turned it around so you can get to the switches better. So I am going to modify that cause I like hunting in allmetal and I need to get to the switches faster on that straigate shaft. I got another straigate shaft and I might just modify that one.

Anyway so much for me posting neg stuff. I am back to lurking again. Later :D: :D: HH Jerry aka Tinfoil

Hi
Maybe you got a bad coil? No matter what is manufactured, there is always one stinker that sneaks out of the plant. Especially if it was made on Friday afternoon or Monday morning after a Packer game. Use what works the best and keep on hunting. Good luck

jimb