Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help me ID this coil

newbiehunter

The picture attached is of a coil that was with the Garrett Master Hunter ADS Deepseeker VLF-TR that I recently obtained. The shaft ad coil together measure approx 18 3/4 inches long and the coil portion is approx 8 1/2 inches long and 3/4 inches in diam. It has a male 4 pin connecter with quick connect. On the coil is a gold Garrett deepseeker 5.5 sticker. I know the coil works as I used it the other day on a tot lot and found a ring with it. I don't know what it's real or orig. purpose was. Could it be an early pinpointer coil put out by Garrett. I have sent pictures and description to Garrett but have not gotten anything back from them yet. I decided to take a stab at putting it on the forum and see if anyone can enlighten me. Any and all information that I can get on the coil and its capabilities will be greatly appreciated.

I think that I have an answer, a member on another forum referred me to a site in Australia who is sellig an item on his site. It is called a 1" Deepseeker Sharpshooter Prob rod. I emailed the owner of the site requesting info. I think that this is what it is and if he emails me with info I will post the results. If this jogs any memories p;ease let me know. Thanks

[size=large]i remeber watching a treasure show where scuba divers were using rods like this to probe shipwreck sites. the divers would stick these rods into the sand around the search area. checked garrett's web site and found nothing. the fitting would have to be water proof. may be a special order item.
how old is your deep seeker?[/size]

I purchased an ADS 7 many years ago when I was a Garrett dealer, and also bought the coil you have pictured as well as the two-box deepseeker. The probe was used for searching in crevices and cracks too small for other coils. During the times that I used the probe in a creek on my property looking for gold, all I ever found was birdshot and .22 bullets. It was super sensitive on tiny objects. Still have it but never use it now. Panning proved more productive. HH. Jugg.

Im not sure the exact age of my Deepseeker but I am betting that it was one of the early ones. It has decals on it that say Garrett Master Hunter and ADS Deepseeker VLF-TR . That indicates to me that since it dosen't say Master Hunter I or II or III etc it almost has to be one of the early models. It looks like brand new not a scratch on it or the coils so I do't think that it ever got used much. Been able to get out a few times with it in the last week or so and I really have enjoyed it. I have found a hand full of clad, two kids rings, an earring, some fishing weights and wheel weights, two bullets and some other assorted trash. Not anything of value but it was fun. Hope to get out alot this spring and summer.

1977 Master Hunter VLF/TR with controls on the side and push button retune (deepseeker coil)
1978 Master Hunter VLF/TR Ditto

Same date Feather weight series had the controls on the top & Ground Hog Coil

Cool!:clapping:Yeah, that's one o'those old Sharpshooters.:garrett::detecting: Neato!:wiggle: Cool old collector's item. Nice conversation piece. Useful, too! As you've proven. Congrats on the ring!:beers: Thanks for sharing!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

I think that I will be using this machine for a long time. It goes back to the old sayig "If it ain't broke don't fix it" I know the new machines are lighter etc... but from what a lot of folks have told me is this machine will do just about everything the new ones will do and in some cases better as long as I learn to use it right. It looks like I'm in for a long and beautiful relatioship. I just located a siper coil for this old machine and it is traveling in my direction as we speak. I will really be excited when it gets here.