Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help in Southeast Missouri

whitetails4ever

Hello all..

I live in Cape Girardeau Missouri, in Southeast Missouri. I have never owned a detector before and have been stowing some green away for one. Being that I am new to this, I don't want to drop a grand on one. I don't, however, want to buy a cheap one that won't grow with me.

Given my location (soil conditions might matter), as well as the fact that I have never swung a detector before, what would you "more seasoned detectorist" recommend? If you feel strongly about a certain product, or have had good luck in this area with a particular model, would you please share this information with me?

In closing, let me say that I do walk with a limp; this is the result of a car accident two years ago. Because of this, I do experience some pain, yet still need to get exercise. I feel a heavy detector might tax me a little. I am strong though, and 39 years old, so I figure the weight may not be a huge issue. I don't know though, give me your thoughts on this too. Thanks for any advice you might give.

Tom

Can't go wrong with the Tesoro Vaquero for a first machine. Very light, great depth, excellent discrimination and pinpointing, manual ground balance, and can be used for all kinds of hunting except underwater.
White's MXT is a great choice too. It is quite a bit heavier, but well balanced and is actually 3 machines in one. Coin and Jewelry, Relic, and Prospecting modes.
Not as easy to learn or as smooth operating as the "V", but a little more powerful and versatile.
Both machines have several coils you can purchase and they work great. Either one will give years of enjoyment before you might want to consider a more complex and expensive machine. I have 30 years experience and I own 6 different machines at this time. Sometimes the most expensive are not actually the best machines. Two of my machines are more expensive but I like the MXT and the Vaquero better. They are my favorites and this is just my opinion. There are other excellent detectors out there and everyone has their likes and dislikes.
Hope this helps.
Jim

I agree the MXT is a fine detector & not hard to get to know...I have never used Tesoros but heard very good things about them...I also have never used a Garrett Ace 250 but have seen many experienced users give great reports about them & say how much fun they are & at $200 you simply cannot beat the value. Say a 250 & a little "shooter" coil & you're set...Right now you can also entertain the idea of trying to pick up a used Minelab Explorer ll...that is one you will not outgrow soon, but it will take a little more getting used to. As far as weight, I doubt if that will really matter unless you have an injured arm or shoulder...I have arthritis in my knees & it doesn't seem to affect them one way or the other, because you are not walking fast...You will be walking very slow...Also speaking of used units, if you can find one in GOOD shape, a Whites Eagle ll SL or Eagle spectrum would be a fine starter unit as they have pre-set turn on & go programs, Relic, coin & jewelry, beach, prospecting...& have super accurate I.D....a couple thing to think about though...with a used unit you may not get warranty protection but you can get a great price & maybe extra coils...about half of the detectors I have owned have been used units that I either got off ebay or forums...Maybe I've just been lucky but I have yet to get one that wasn't in great shape...Usually in better shape than described...HH...TT

I agree with Tom - out of all the machines I own, I seem to be swinging the Minelab Explorer and the ACE 250 for about the last half year. In my experience taking tag-a-long 1st time users, the ACE 250 seems to take about 5 minutes crash course and a beginner is on their way. There is still a load to learn but the 250 gets em going in short order. If I throw the Explorer in their hands, there is just something about it where they in most cases end up having me take the explorer in exchange for the 250.
The ACE 250 is inexpensive and very light weight, and the accessories are affordable too. Read about it and the features are big bang for the bucks value. And simplicity to start.
The minelab costing much more is rich in features, has a steep learning curve for beginners, more weight, and better depth. A machine to grow into where you can have more saved custom programs.
I guess it all depends on your preference, but your starting out right by trying to get information instead of just buying something having zero knowledge and reviews about. Keep reading and asking and good luck.

You get more features dollar for dollar with an Ace 250. It's about $220.00.
I don't like to see anyone pay $1000.00 on a detector then decide detecting is not for them. You can resell the Ace 250 for about $150.00 on ebay. That way you really haven't lost a lot of cash.

Best bang for the buck is the Ace 250, but I feel for a person that wants to get serious and don't mind spending a little more the MXT is one great detector and it is easy to use and still keep up with most of the expensive detectors. Best Whites I have ever used in my 34 years of detecting. The MXT is my wife's detector that I do get to use once in a while, but my main detectors are the Minelab Explorer SE and the Sovereign GT, but these are much heavier and a steeper learning curve being you are new to the hobby.

Tom,a used CZ5 a lot of dealers may have one these units.These detectors are simple to use and have great depth and they work well in a lot of different ground conditions.If the older CZ is a little too heavy it can be clipped onto your belt.If you take a vacation to a beach area it works very well in the sand.You'll probably pay 400 dollars for a used CZ5,but if it doesn't work out you can recover your money spent on a quick resale.This is one detector you won't grow out of,and by the way there are a lot of different size coils for this Fisher.Good luck finding a detector.Metal Detectors are like women there are a lot of good one's out there,but the perfect one is yet to be found.

There should be some local MD clubs that can help you out with what works in your area. My guess from a quick on line check of the soil is that mineralization is not much of a factor. However good depth may be key to hitting the older stuff in your area. I'd bet the Fisher CZ's and the ML Explorer are two of the more popular units in use. There are also several mid priced units that come very close performance wise. Stay in the 6-7 Khz frequency range for best response on the deeper silver and you should be OK.

This is all just a guess based on some quick research.

Tom

OK..Say I do buy an Ace or Minelab, what about Jackpine's comments concerning 6-7 Khz frequency range for best response? Does the Ace and Minelab fall in that range? Also, have you found the Ace 250 to pick up deep targets? I am interested in finding things that may be buried deep since I may be hunting places worked before. Perhaps having a newer (deeper reaching) detector will aid me in finding stuff others bypassed. What do you all think?
Thanks for your past comments.
Tom

Well sir. I'm 76 years of age, have a bad hip and a pair of bad knees and I bought an ACE 250 in the middle of Nov. So far I've logged over $40.00 and am havin a ball. I hunted years ago but gave it up for 25 years and just now got back.Compared to the detectors we used in those days " THIS LITTLE FELLA IS DYNOMITE". with all the money ya save you can buy a whole bunch of extra cases of beer. That's my story and I'm stickin with it. Bear in mind I hunt almost every day (weather permitting) but an hour and a half is my max, then it's off to the old lazy boy for a snooze.

Thanks to everyone. Keep the posts' coming. I am learning a lot. Tucker1931...drink a beer for me. It's great to hear at 76 that you are staying active. I wish my dad would take up a hobby like detecting. He is about your age and does nothing but sit in his Lazy Boy everyday. Maybe I can get him interested too. Again, thanks to everyone.
Tom
whitetails4ever

Tom,
I have hunted the Southeast Missouri area a lot. (Sikeston, Dexter, Bloomfield, Essex) area. I grew up around Essex and moved away in 1956 but still go back a couple of times a year. All hunting has been in farm fields and around old farm sites, have used many different detectors and the ground did not prove to be a problem with any of them. So whatever you choose should work OK for you.
There was a lot of Civil War activity around you, that might be worth looking into. The only civil war activity in the area around where I hunt was in and around Bloomfield which is 5-miles north of Dexter. Also the Stars and Stripes Museum is in Bloomfield, If you are ever down that way it is well worth a visit.

James