Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help! Have questions ref used Excalibur 1000 just purchased

pat35

just bought a used Excalibur i am used to a sovereign x s. when i use the sovereign i search in all metal. i used the Excalibur yesterday in pinpoint which i guess is the same as all metal, it has a rolling and unstable hum. when its not that loud the hum is steady when in disc mode.i used it in auto mode when in pinpoint if i set the sensitive to the farest away from the auto the hum will be steady. is this common or should i be searching in disc mode? if so, where should I set the discriminate? i have been leaving at 3, is this where you would set it at for wet salty sand? at break, it seems like the volume knob is turning without the shaft. is this normal?is there something i can put on it to make easier to turn? (all the knobs are very hard to turn). this was the first time using so I'm not sure how it works. Any help from experienced Excalibur users or any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! pat

I run mine in auto, dis. but set your dis, to zero. Just listen for the tones, its just a water proof soverine. I never use the pin point. Set the threshold to just audible.Volume to max. Grubstake

Yes, I use my soverine in diss. too, but keep the diss. at zero. I just liten for the tones, it blanks on iron, and high tone on silver and low tone on gold. put a nicle down, and sweep the coil over it. This is pretty close to gold tone. ALWAYS DIG THE LOW TONES. Grubstake

My Excal is new so I don't know about older models but mine doesn't even have a setting of 0 Disc. For saltwater beaches use in Disc mode, set Disc to 1, Sens to 11 or 12 o'clock, Threshold to barely audible and Volume to a comfortable setting. Some of the more experienced users can pinpoint while still in Disc mode but I switch to Pinpoint, but only to pinpoint the target, not to search in. I haven't used it in any inland, high ground conditions so can't help you there. Good luck and hope this helps some.
Jerry

HI gang,
I hunt in the "Pinpoint" (All Metal Mode) because, at equal sensitivity settings, Pinpoint will detect deeper, even if the discriminate is set at the lowest setting of(1). I have detected coins, while in the Pinpoint mode, that were 12 to 14 inches down that did not even tickle the Excal when I switched to the Discriminate mode.

For what it's worth,
HH,
Stirling, N5PIP
Daytona Beach

To me the threshold, while i auto is much more stable, no falsing, on the beaches I hunt, the minerals change alot, and auto is the best. At least for me and the guys I hunt with that also use excall.'s or soverines.Grubstake

just got back from beach hunted in pinpoint and disc modes.It seems like you can get deeper in pinpoint but cant stand that jumping hum. my sovereign doesn't do this and when in knee deep water as it comes out of watter it acts like there is a target. do you have to set the sensitivity to a more counterclockwise setting water seems to set it off when in auto. you guys are great, you have helped a lot! i did find 4 pennies 1 quarter 2 pull tabs a pare of stainless steel plier's a bunch of nails when in pinpoint a person next to me found a half it was in ok condition seems like my sovereign with a 12 intrud seems to go deeper but doesn't hit many targets. this is why i am used to having the background noise louder, small things make very light change wouldn't hurt it if i didn't do this. the excalibur is a little different and a little heavier then sovereign want to try a straight pole, i see some go farther behind your arm, and some the same as arm. i may try to make one last thing when in pinpoint if you get your hand next to the control box the tone changes. this is what i hear when swinging the excalibur. the sovereign has a tin rap around the inside of the electronics, this i suppose is to keep interference out? doesn't look like the excalibur has this maybe why it does this?
Thanks again.
Pat

Those settings are perfect.

I use 11 o'clock pretty much most of the time. With the 800 coil you can probably go 10, 1000 at 11, and a 12.5" maybe 12 noon or even as low as 1 o'clock for a WOT, depending on location of course. Unlike you, I don't use the pinpoint. It may be that I had the Sovereign Elite for a year before I got my Excal but from the time I turned on the Excal I found it to pinpoint nicely for me without using PP. I use the 10" 1000 coil.