Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help choosing gt coil

uk ninjafox

Hi all, i need some help, I'm buying a used sovereign gt, and I'm not sure which coil will be the best for use on the beach/wet sand.
I've read a lot about the 15in wot, and the sun-ray s-12, what are the pros and cons, just incase it makes any difference !!, I'm from the UK, thanks.

I hunt every other day exclusively on the beach. I use two coils, the 8" Coinsearch and the 12" Detech EQ2.

The Sunray 12" is a very good coil, if you can find one at the right price. The WOT is too heavy in my opinion for regular use and I find it prone to falsing unless you run a very low sensitivity setting. Mind you, even on minimum sensitivity it's good for 12" on the beach easily.

Won't go far wrong with any of those coils, they've all got good depth.

The 8 inch coinsearch is a very good coil if you can find them,best coil to learn the Sovereign with in my opinion, but you have to watch them around water as they are not waterproof. I never tried the 12 inch Detech EQ12 coil, but have tried the WOT and the S12 on my Sovereign and find the S12 works much better for me for land hunting and if you know your Sovereign well you will be digging deep. I feel that most that have them love the S12 as you don't see many used on the classified and those that you see are almost new prices.

Thanks for all the info, will be useing it on the beach most of the time, i spose it would help if i was to go for the wot, to get a pinpoint probe. I've read that with the wot coil you can't turn the sens up to high, whats the sens like with the s-12 coil.

I have used both coils on the Elite, GT, and the Excal.

I can't tell depth differences, but I can tell you the area coverage is a big plus on the WOT. If you hunt slow enough, you can use the WOT in a trash littered park and still pick out the good stuff.

Weight could be an issue if you hunt all day. The S-12 kicks butt. It's not as big as the WOT, and the weight of the S-12 is very light for its size.

The stock 10-inch Tornado is very good as well.

The compromise between the stock coil and the WOT is the S-12. The S-12 can be used as a general coil. Just sweep slower and listen carefully.

As for the sensitivety settings, I have found that the larger the coil, the sensitiviety setting needs to be set a tad bit lower. This, I believe to be true in more minrealized areas like the salt beach, wet sand. Another factor will be outside interference like power lines. In an wide open area with non-mineralized soil, and no power lines, you prolly could leave the machine in MAX setting with little or no falsing.

laterz

ed

Never had much luck with probes. Used to have an inline Sunray probe, but I found it more of a hindrance on the beach as once the hole starts to fill up, if you've not got the target out, you can spend ages trying to find it probe or no probe. I just kick the sand I've dug around until I pick a signal up. I don't spend too long looking for stuff, I tend to move on if I'm not getting a signal then. I guess that's probably not a great way of doing things, but it works for me. Incidently, I did try a handheld probe, but chasing down stuff you've dug seems to take too long. Probes are probably good inland though.

the waves will grab the wot more and it is a little hard to push thru. the shallows while in the water

B U T it is worth the work.

now if u leave the coil cover on, sand and water get inside and MAKE IT - god awful heavy.