Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HELP! Broken wire at the coil/wire connection

SeattleALE

I know, I know. This has probably been posted a 1000 times but I need to ask it since this is the first time I've experienced it. I've got a broken wire, I'm sure of it, and I'd like to know if there's any way to fix it without sending it off to Minelab. Here are the details...

The machine is an Excalibur 1000. Yesterday I was 1/2 way through a dive when it began signaling with every sweep, even in the open air. I diligently cleared any sand from between the coil and cover but the falsing continued. Keeping everything motionless, and only slightly moving the wire close to the coil connection causes the falsing. I'll 99.999% sure the wire is broken just there and is shorting.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing to be done but send it to Minelab, especially considering that the short is right at the coil interface. I'm just hoping that someone out there knows a really cool trick that will let me fix it myself and still be able to use it this weekend!!!!

Thanks for any suggestions any may have....

Have a good weekend!

SeattleALE

Nothing you can do about it.

You would need enough wire to work with. If it's broken right at or just inside the coil, you have nothing to work with.

There is also another problem with broken wires.......
It's not always a clean break. Wire strands can be broken at different intervals over a space of several inches. You have to hack out quite a chunk of wire to get rid of the bad section.

This job will be best left for Minelab. The worst you can expect is that you will need a new coil if they can't dig into the old one to fix it.

Some rules to follow to help prevent this from happening again........
Do not allow sharp bends in the cable.
Do not allow the cable to be pulled tight (under stress) at the coil connection.
Tie down as much cable slack as possible to reduce flexing.
Keep the coil mounted in the same position all the time to reduce flexing.

Good luck.

HH

Can't you test it with another Excalibur 1000's coil like at the local Minelab retail outlet? Just to be 100% positive.