Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello Everyone!

devildog3rd

I just bought a new Garrett Ace 250 and don't know anything at all about metal detectors. One thing I do know! They are better at finding land mines than probing with a knife.

I live in South East Kentucky and I have plenty of places to use my metal detector as soon as it arrives.

I did my research on what type to buy and the best one for the money to start with. Everything pointed towards the Garrett Ace 250 for me.

hey, welcome, you a 1371? I was back in 98-02. Semper Fi

[quote treasurefiend]hey, welcome, you a 1371? I was back in 98-02. Semper Fi[/quote]

No. I was 5811. Not a base MP...I was the M60E3 gunner Field MP sticking out the top of a Hummer securing MSR's during Dessert Storm. The 3rd comes from 3rd Battalion Paris Island. I was in from 89-97 until a knee injury caused me to leave. I left with my honorable discharge.

Semper Fi Friend

oh, I was a 1371 (Combat Engineer) we used the metal detectors a lot, for IED's and Land Mines.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving our country:thumbup: Look forward to your posts.

Thanks to every one for the welcome here and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Treasurefiend, IED's! Man. You got a pair! I bet you were gritting your teeth the hole time. Did you find any with a cellphone tied to it or remote trigger?
I would have been worried about the nylon spring anti personnel mines the ones used in Viet Nam. Those are nasty ones to step on.

I got too close to a anti tank thermite when I was in Desert Storm. I had just woke up in my fighting hole after a bad sand storm the night before. I grabbed my canteen and a MRE and sat down on a water can to have breakfast and nearly sat my canteen on the plunger. I almost purged myself! The sand storm had uncovered it and we had been walking all around this old WWII thermite the day before.

Uncle Willy

Yes Sir. I had luck or someone watching over me that day.

I have several places that has never been metal detected and one site my father (when he was a boy) found a $20.00 gold coin and there as been several stashes of these coins buried. Finding where to look will be the toughest part.

One that has been told to me that my great grand mother when she was a young girl had helped load a wagon with several wool socks filled with these gold coins. She didn't say how many socks just only several.

It will be interesting to see what I might dig up.

When my Garrett Ace 250 arrives get familiar with it I will post pics of what I find.