Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hello Everyone! :cheers:

Ron J

This Summer, what there was of it, sure flew by! Can't believe it is October already. Guess its been awhile since i posted a story... I have "stopped by" to see what's up with all of you, briefly. Royals new barn, Fred's grandson,growing up fast, Wayne and your wife are feeling better I hope, as well as Mikie and his wife. George's daughter, in an accident etc. Time flies by as you get older... Besides house repairs, and boating when possible,and still working,of course, I have been kept pretty busy.
Remember almost a year ago, I attended the Lightship Sailors 10th reunion in Hyannis, on Cape Cod. Next week I am flying to Concord California to attend their 11th reunion! With my strong interest in Coast Guard, Live Saving Stations, and Lightships, and the Coast Guard Heritage Museum, and Lightship Sailors Museum, I have met a lot of new friends, and have became a member of the LSA. (Lightship Sailors Association). Due to me contributing Photo's and information I had acquired to the LSA, I was asked by Larry Ryan, LSA President, to consider taking on the task as their LSA Historian! That was in June. After finding out the perimeters of this Title, I accepted the position, after being elected by the Board of Directors.

In a nutshell, the most important thing is, during this reunion and the next two annual reunions will be to Video or Audio record as many Lightship Sailors personally as possible. To gather their personal history, and to hopefully hear a great sea story or personal experience from each of these gentlemen. I have heard or read a few, and believe me they are classic! This group is unique, as there are no more active Lightships, since 1983! Most of the LSA are getting up there in age. I would guess the average age between 69 to 78?
You must realize, as a crew member on a Lightship, you would be on a bright RED target. A Lightship did not move from its position, period! Hurricane's, cold weather, didn't matter.Neither did the crew! Duty ranged over the years from month's at a time, to maybe 3 weeks rotation, weather permitting... The ships duty was to mark a dangerous shoal or rocks in major shipping lanes. So dangerous, a Lighthouse could not be built as a permanent fixture.
Also part of the job, is to follow up on leads, that is if an LSA Sailor, or relative has an artifact, or personal belongings, they wish to donate to the LSA Museum, and they live in New England, I just may make a visit to gather the artifact or just to gather information. So far I have visited to Wells Maine, and to Provincetown, (Cape Cod) to interview leads. Some packets of stories have been mailed to me. I then summarize the information and write a follow-up report.
Bottom line, is there will never be any new Lightship Sailors. Age is creeping up fast, and time is of the essence. So, I have a job cut out for me, but you know what? I really enjoy this. Only regret, is I never asked my Dad, for a personal interview regarding his 27 + years in the Coast Guard. At least I can keep up his memory at the Coast Guard Heritage Museum, with his personal belongings and photo's on display.
Like here, on the 20th Century Tales Forum, I have met a lot of great friends in the LSA. In the near future, i will try to post a couple of short Sea Stories. Rj

as the LSA Historian. I think that this is neat and that you will do one outstanding job for them. I hope that if you hear any exciting stories that you will share them with us on this Forum. Again, great hearing from you! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

But I always enjoy your sea stories...I am working on a couple right now too. Once I get them finished..... But who knows when that will be.. :):

I wish that I could have asked my father about his youth, time as a commando... even simple life stories... I waited too long and have regretted it. The stories I get are/were from his friends and colleagues. I especially like finding out just how he was a commando.

Calm seas my friend

Micheal

n/t

Hi Ron,

Sometimes life finds the right person for an important task and this time is no exception.

You"ll do your usual fine job and experience joy doing it!

Congratulations Friend, that is a rare thing.

Good luck in this adventure and keep us posted,

CJ

It sounds like a match made in heaven to me. You are a wealth of information on the topic and they need someone with the time patience to make it all come together. I enjoyed all the stories you have posted about the Coast Guard Light Ships and light houses
over the years here. The pictures made it all the better. Look forward to more and hearing how your new project proceeds.

George-CT