Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Heidi and I took a ride on the bikes tonight up to

George-CT

Horse Barn Hill. This is a nice area at UCONN about 9 miles from here. We went for their home made ice cream from the dairy farm but then stopped at Horse Barn Hill. UCONN has a breeding program and also a polo team. We enjoy watching all the horses out in the pasture where we go sledding in the winter time.
I had the camera in the saddle bags so grabbed a few shots of Heidi on the bike and the horses down below. Nothing special but you can see we are into nice weather here. Geo-CT

n/t

n/t

I will take more pictures there. That is the section of UCONN that was their farming area and they kept it that way. They have a big horse program, pig program chicken and cows. Most of their pastures are on huge drumlins left over from the ice age. Pfizer's Corp, tried to buy it all up about 5 years ago for a big research building right on top of it...All the towns around Storrs went nuts and put a
stop to it. It will remain what it is, for agricultural use and teaching. The campus there is really nice. Mostly granite buildings from way back. Sure is a cold campus in the winter. Right on big hill, wide open to wind and lots of snow...You have to walk between classes and its a big campus with limited parking...... They had one of the biggest breeding programs in the country for a long time with the Morgan Horses second only to the one in Vermont. They have 2 or 3 horse auctions a year here and some nice horses run thru there at decent prices. Big polo team there. Fun to watch them, they are deadly with those mallets..

I took a friend of Heidi's with us last night so he could taste some good ice cream. He was saying how different can it be. My thought to at one time. He came out of there hooked and 3 lbs heavier...... You can watch them making it and they have tours there all day long, both in the cow barns and the ice cream plant...

George...... Here are a few more shots I took last year up there from on top of a few of the drumlins on campus. All this is the agri section..

n/t

http://www.google.com/search?q=drumlin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

We are stone walls and drumlins long with lots of kettle holes. This was not the best area for sure to farm, but they did it.....Getting rid of the rocks was a major chore. Stone walls all over here. I have some on the property here that are 8 foot wide and almot 60 inches high.......Fact it borders one of our pastures.....Our walls out on the main road, I have a problem with people stealing them at night time to build fireplaces... They have pretty much gotten all the cap stones for the mantles and harths.....and also stair ways.... some will come and ask, but most take them in the night..... this article will give you a nice picture of how it is here. I'm 9 miles from storrs and we share the same terrain...

http://www.workingtheland.com/interview-thorson.htm

I will take some pictures that will show them in a nice way.. They are big.........

George-Ct