Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

headphone repair question-

se stan

a buddy of mine has a dfx and when new headphones are pluged in they do not work but the original whites seem to work and he says they crackle sometimes.
tried 2 different headphones on his unit and on mine..my unit has no problem ... his is silent..
i guesing the jack on the detctor has to be removed and replaced..
what is that jack exactly called and im thinking radio shack unless you guys can give me a link where i can get one..

thanks .....stan

It's either going to be a stereo or mono jack. Look at the plug that is meant for the detector headphone socket. If it has only two contacts on the shaft that are seperate then it's mono. If it has three seperator shaft areas it's stereo. Are you sure his machine doesn't require one type of headphone or at least the right plug (mono or stereo), while yours uses the other type? Some detectors are mono and some use a stereo plug. If you are plugging the headphones in with the wrong plug they might do what you are talking about.

Almost all detectors are mono, the only true stereo one i can think of is the nautilus, the difference in say the DFX and a minelab is that on a stereo jack the detector will either contact the centre(bit between the 2 black insulators) or the long part closest to the cable, the front point is usually the common. Almost All detector specific headphones have some means to change from one to the other to make them compatible with all detectors, be it switch or reversing the cable, have a good look at the phones for this switch as in some its inside the earcup(predator ml's) others have a detatchable lead that has a stereo jack on one end and a mono on the other, all it does by reversing it is it uses a different wire(either centre or the long)to send the signal

Yea, I'd figure most if not all detectors are mono, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that some want one plug while others want another (mono or stereo). Could be wrong, though.