Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has it been a year since the Equinox came out?

Ted S

I think it has been almost a year since its introduction. I didn't get my 600 till fall and only was out a few times with it. I really need to learn it better. So what are your thoughts on the Equinox? Likes? Dislikes? Is it doing what you anticipated? I think it is going to do what I want it to. What say yee? HH Ted

Beach wise by the shear number im now seeing its a win for ML. Their initial assessment of it making all machines obsolete....... may in some ways be true. The price and warranty has to be hurting other companies......... IMO its certainly hurting resale values of machines like the CTX and Xcal. Always room for improvement...... more mode specific coils, still needs to improve detection of on edge targets, Cuffs and coil ears, shaft wiggle, improved depth on the larger coil (unlike the 6" that seems crazy deep), Salt adjustment to reduce chatter in the water, the ability to turn on and off the salt setting in beach mode. I also believe that the machine can be made to go deeper and be more sensitivity near or in the water. But hey........ look at what you are getting in a real multi use machine for the price. Intro........ man that was HORRIBLE....... how many months did we go without waterproof headphones........ then what did they do..... same ones the Xcal/CTX uses...... ugh. BUT..... you have to give it to ML ...... they really have improved service not only to this machine ....... but all repairs. Keith is doing one heck of a job.

Kinda sort of, depends how you count it. Worst roll out of a machine in history. Ranks right up there with CTX updates.

I was sold after my first hunt. The Equinox is the most versatile machine I have, not only in terms of land and water but also its ability to go into iron infested site and pick out finds my other detectors just simply can't see. It does extremely well as a turn on and go detector, but still has ability to be tweaked to maximize performance. The introduction was slow but I think Minelab has hit it out of the park with their service after the sale which is extremely important. Still learning the nuances of the Equinox after all this time. IMO
Jeff

Ted S said:
I think it has been almost a year since its introduction. I didn't get my 600 till fall and only was out a few times with it. I really need to learn it better. So what are your thoughts on the Equinox? Likes? Dislikes? Is it doing what you anticipated? I think it is going to do what I want it to. What say yee? HH Ted

I think we are at the year mark since the first handful reached user's hands. I didnt get mine until later, but has been everything I expected and hoped for.

Jason...I am reading my manual now. I drove around a bit yesterday looking at some old sights that are on private property. I should do well this year if I can remember a few things about the detector!

Ted S said:

Hi Ted. Yeah, it's been about a year now. The years go by fast when your not looking, don't they? I have the 800, not the 600. Steep learning curve. At least they should of included the operators manual with the machine.
But the Equinox def raises the bar in terms of what you can now get for an affordable metal detector. Minelab def has a viable platform with the Equinox. The Equinox still has a lot of issues, but I think most of these will be addressed with the new Equinox 1000. It's going to be pretty pricey, tho. One of the great things about the 600s and 800s was how much bang you got for the buck. Esp early on, before the prices were raised.
One thing Minelab needs to learn is how to simplify things. Seems the Australians love to tinker with hundreds of settings.
Take Noise Cancel for example. Noise cancel should be done automatically on startup.
When you turn on your computer, do you need to do a noise cancel on your network before you can start using your computer? Of course not. It's all taken care of immediately behind the scene.
Things like this. Still, the Australians might not be very good at simplification nor automation, but they come up with some ground breaking tech. I have owned most of the top notch machines by most of the manufacturers. Minelab is a leader in metal detection technology.
I am looking forward to the day when we can get full color MRI machines. This will be a huge change in metal detecting tech, just like self charging computing devices will be a sea change for internet technology.
Right now, anyways, there are very few manufacturers and models that can compete with the Equinox in terms of price, technology and features. When the MRI machines finally come out, don't be surprised if they are Minelabs.

MassSaltH2O said:

Hi Ted. Yeah, it's been about a year now. The years go by fast when your not looking, don't they? I have the 800, not the 600. Steep learning curve. At least they should of included the operators manual with the machine.
But the Equinox def raises the bar in terms of what you can now get for an affordable metal detector. Minelab def has a viable platform with the Equinox. The Equinox still has a lot of issues, but I think most of these will be addressed with the new Equinox 1000. It's going to be pretty pricey, tho. One of the great things about the 600s and 800s was how much bang you got for the buck. Esp early on, before the prices were raised.
One thing Minelab needs to learn is how to simplify things. Seems the Australians love to tinker with hundreds of settings.
Take Noise Cancel for example. Noise cancel should be done automatically on startup.
When you turn on your computer, do you need to do a noise cancel on your network before you can start using your computer? Of course not. It's all taken care of immediately behind the scene.
Things like this. Still, the Australians might not be very good at simplification nor automation, but they come up with some ground breaking tech. I have owned most of the top notch machines by most of the manufacturers. Minelab is a leader in metal detection technology.
I am looking forward to the day when we can get full color MRI machines. This will be a huge change in metal detecting tech, just like self charging computing devices will be a sea change for internet technology.
Right now, anyways, there are very few manufacturers and models that can compete with the Equinox in terms of price, technology and features. When the MRI machines finally come out, don't be surprised if they are Minelabs.

You keep saying this has a steep learning curve. I'm not sure your really understand what that means. You speak as if this is one of the complicated detectors ever made. I don't think youve handled very models! If you want "simple" get a tesoro compadre. If you want something that allows you to tailor settings to your specific ground, type of hunt and targets hunted for, then keep the EQX. Those changes still aren't complex or difficult. 99% of the change is just pressing the mode button. They made it easier by naming the modes for where they work best.

So what do you want? You want one knob detector or do you want the most versatile detector ever made?

Jason in Enid said:

You keep saying this has a steep learning curve. I'm not sure your really understand what that means. You speak as if this is one of the complicated detectors ever made. I don't think youve handled very models! If you want "simple" get a tesoro compadre. If you want something that allows you to tailor settings to your specific ground, type of hunt and targets hunted for, then keep the EQX. Those changes still aren't complex or difficult. 99% of the change is just pressing the mode button. They made it easier by naming the modes for where they work best.

So what do you want? You want one knob detector or do you want the most versatile detector ever made?

Hi Jason. Maybe what I mean is that the Equinox has a steep learning curve for me. I am sure that I am not the only one. To answer your question, I'll take the most versatile detector ever made. Even if it does have 101 settings. :)

I have been reading the manual now and then...Like I said in an earlier post my biggest issue is learning the icons. Once I remember them and get some field time I am sure it will come together. Good luck!

MassSaltH2O said:

Hi Jason. I just look for gold. Period. So I don't need 101 settings and total versatility. Btw, I just found out about the Gold Monster. I think I made a mistake. I should of got the GM. It is much more of a turn on and go machine, it's a gold dedicated machine, it has auto noise cancel, it takes real batteries, it doesn't have wireless headphones, it does well in salt water, etc. It even costs about $100 less than an 800 does. Hope this helps...

Hi Jason. Maybe what I mean is that the Equinox has a steep learning curve for me. I am sure that I am not the only one. To answer your question, I'll take the most versatile detector ever made. Even if it does have 101 settings. :)

MassSaltH2O said:
Hi Jason. I just look for gold. Period. So I don't need 101 settings and total versatility. Btw, I just found out about the Gold Monster. I think I made a mistake. I should of got the GM. It is much more of a turn on and go machine, it's a gold dedicated machine, it has auto noise cancel, it takes real batteries, it doesn't have wireless headphones, it does well in salt water, etc. It even costs about $100 less than an 800 does. Hope this helps...

Well, if thats the direction you want to go, I wont try to stop you. Ask yourself how many people you have seen using a GM for beach hunting, then ask yourself why it might be.