Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone made a grid system for water detecting?

Heath

I was thinking of using pcv piping for a grid. The piping needs to be drilled with holes and possibly weighted. Is there any other methods to keep your location? On land I use stakes and a light rope if needed but it's hard to run rope in shallow water between 3 to 5 feet. I'm using mask and snorkel for equipment. Anybody tried something different that works?

Hello Heath, I have a friend who uses a chain, that he drags behind him when detecting in the water. He says it's a bit hard to know where you are if you're deeper than your head height, but the chain does help to see where you've been.

n/t

I use a fishing float with a large lead weight at each end of my grid to keep my bearings.
I have toyed with the idea of a laser pen on one pole pointed at a paper plate on a pole at the other. If you see the laser on the plate you are off line. You would want your back to the laser. Of course caution would be needed with any laser device.

The waters that are being detected here in northern Minnesota are tea tinted and visibility is limited. Usually two to three feet max is all you get on a sunny day. I tried rope with weights, but if I took my mind off the location usually caused by looking at silver or a black blob after it is brought to the surface, I had a hard time locating the 50 foot rope. I might have to attach several locating floats. I'm wondering what other THer's would do in this situation.