Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Has anyone had good finds around Cape May, NJ?

fedder

I am interested in finding out about late July beach hunting around Cape May, NJ, since I have mainly only hunted NC & SC beaches. Has anyone had lots of success around Cape May?

Are there any laws that restrict beach hunting in that location that anyone knows about? Also what type of parking arrangements are there? Are there pay lots or parking meters?

Fedder...if you are that close to Cape May at that time, and not hitting much, I would suggest making a trip a little north and hit Wildwood instead. Much more people there...only problem...the beaches are huge.

hi fedder! i go to Cape May once in awhile and do ok. this is an old, historical beach area with the possibility of going deep and finding some good old stuff. there are parking spaces with meters right up against the beach all along Beach Ave. and you can park on the side streets also. from Philly you can take the highway toward atlantic city, then 9 south for other places like ocean city or wildwood. all depends on how bad they are sanded in. you could also go 9 north to Long Beach Island. go south on LBI and you can hit Beach Haven or Holgate where old spanish coins are found. there is a local museum i think in Beach Haven that even has some on display that were found after storms and i saw a post awhile back of a piece of eight found at LBI at 6" with a Whites Beach Hunter ID, i think it was. for further fun, you can go down to Cape May and take the Cape May/Lewes ferry over to delaware. it is a beautiful 40 minute ferry ride. you can go to Rehobeth Beach and the whole line south (Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach) and even hit the famous Coin Beach at Indian River Islet. Dont miss the Discover Sea Shipwreck Museum at Fenwick Island. it has loads of great treasure displays recovered from wrecks. i use a tesoro in the dry sand so i can cover alot of ground fast, and when tide goes out i use my sov elite for the wet salt. this combo works good for me. all the local town beaches i have been to allow detecting but not n.j. state parks. but Delaware Beach State Park and local beaches allow detecting. there is obviously no shortage of nice beaches to detect in your area. best of luck and most important: have fun detecting!

Do you think an Excalibur 800, which has been modified with a straight shaft would do pretty well around Cape May or is the Surf too rough? Is the Water too cold even in the Summer Months for people to swim? In North Carolina, we had water temps approaching the Mid to Upper 80's, but that was not usually till August or September and those temps attracted lots of Hurricanes. I remember we also had lots of NE Winds in NC and in fact we had a period of more than a week one Summer. The rings were popping up all over the place that year. The draw back for most Carolina Beaches if you like to metal detect is we do not have as big of crowds as NJ beaches, but people still lose valuables. Also in case you did not know, there is no charge to go on the beaches yet. Parking keeps increasing in price. Only a very few beaches are cleaned ie Myrtle Beach, SC. Do you feel when the beaches are cleaned, many of the rings are cleared out as well? Happy hunting, I am stuck to the Suburbs around Philly for now. I hope I can find an area where tubing is done in the area and detecting is allowed.

the wife and i go down there every year about the time your going.... don't think you can detect during the time of day that the beach is open for swimming, but it's ok to detect before 10 am and after about 4 pm.... you do see a few detectorists in the evening and morinig.....Quite a few parking meters around but that is simply NEW JERSEY !....Never found much more than clad and always did better in the dry sand rather than the wet....Hope to see you there this summer......I'll be the one with the MXT....... Gene

I don't think they ban detecting on the beach during the day. I am not sure if Cape May does either, but you should check.