Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hard To Beat This Day

FarmerJ

So I went hunting in an old park with a buddy the other day, it was one we had avoided because of the amount of trash as well as the clientel the parks seems to draw. I never hunt for old coins just tend to focus on jewelry. About the 5th dig signal I got turned out to be a 1938 mercury about 10" down. I was hooked after that started moving at half speed looking for any high deep signal. As I said I don't have a clue how to hunt old coin. Beginners luck I guess, ended up with 11 wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel, mercury dime, small 10k gold pendant, small 10k gold ring, and a small silver ring. This hunt was about 5 hours til the park got to scary to hang around in. Pictures will be posted soon, as well as dates when I get coils cleaned up. If anyone would like to give me some pointers on hunting old coin. I will very soon return to that park. The soil I am hunting is California soil.

Looks like you did quite well.......................if you can find a dime a about 10 inches you won't have trouble finding older coins. Having some old coins to test your skill with the detector you are using would be nice. I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you more to think about when searching for old coins..

HH.................................John in Va,

Im more impressed with the gold finds in a park than even the dime. Luck or not that was one cha ching kind of day. Its what keeps us hunting.

Dew

That is a great collection for a day's hunt ... congrats !:clap:

Farmer J, If you are digging Mercs at ten inches it sounds to me as if you already know how to get deepies.
The only thing to remember is deepies may only give you a faint sound and be only repeatable in any one given direction. If it sounds good and is repeatable even if in a given sweep, dig it as it is worth it.
Also, remember deep coins if in Smart Screen will tend to bounce around playing havoc with your SS cursor. Pay more attention to the sounds rather then the screen imho.
Also, being you got a Buff. which many pass up simply because they fall close and often passed up as pulltabs etc it sounds you are by far on the right track. I would guess since your a big jewelry hunter snatching up nickels wont be an issue.

Way to go and an excellent day of hunting and Happy New Year! :thumbup:

With finds like that I wouldn't change anything except your hours of hunting to coincide with when the local fauna is less likely to be out and about. Be careful! Its not worth getting jacked so some thug trash can post a you tube of your ass gettin wooped.!

My other hobby is Jujitsu and Muay Tai. LOL, I hate fighting but if they want to youtube it.... it would be a great surprise to them.