Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Handy tip for traveling gardeners

Royal

I don't know, maybe this is an old tip but I just came up with it to solve a problem we have in Roscommon.

We like plants but if they are in the ground, with nobody up there for weeks at a time,the deer and rabbits eat them or they dry out during drought periods.

I tried this a few weeks ago with a deranium at the front of the house and it worked great. Now I am giving it a shot on the deck. I put the plants up here to keep the deer and rabbits off but the watering was still a problem.

At the front of the houst I took a piece of rope and ran from a bucket of water and put the other end into the soil, hoping capitillary action would transfer the water as needed. It worked just great.

I wanted to give it a try on the deck as I had brought some more plants from my mothers. We were garage saleing and I saw some of this craft rope. It is woven much looser than normal rope. It was cheap and I bought a couple lengths for a couple bucks.

That is what I have used here. It seems to transfer the water better than the rope did so with luck,the plants will still be alive in a couple weeks.

Hope so

n/t

keep a lot of my roses in "self watering" pots in my garden. If you know you are going to be gone for a while, you fill the bottom tray up, and since roses draw water thru their roots, the water will last for quite a while! :)

then I packed some dirt around it and put a small rock on it. I am not sure the best way as I am experimenting