Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Guys! Greetings from Ukraine! At last I've bought 1236 X2!

Where are you in Ukraine? I spent a little time in Ukraine, but I did not get to detect. I sure wish I could have!

Hello, Tony!
I am from Kiev, the capital city.
Full choice of types of hunting: relics dated from 10-th through 17-th century, imperial coins when Ukraine was a part of the Russian Empire (1700-1917). Modern coin hunting (fresh water beaches) is rare and unusual a bit unlike in the United States.
But be careful to dig in Ukraine if you have the chance. It's very hard to differ the site you may dig from places where this is prohibited under national law. You will have a lot of problems in such a case....
Most of all I like hunting aimed at civil war relics. We got the same problem like in the USA but in 17-th century (1648-1654 was a war with Poland, 1654-1667 was a war with Russia, 1667-1686 was a war with the Ottoman Empire. And, of course, all that time Ukrainian provinces fought one with another.)
Tomorrow is my first hunt... Though I have 2 finds which I dug up last spring when fixed a fence where my granny lived - a horseshoe and a military axe. Both belong to 13-th century( I showed them to an archaeologist).
So, the main thing is not an MD, but LUCK. With it You are always with finds.:thumbup:
Happy hunting all of you.

Best of luck,
Paul

I know it well! I guess your city is getting ready to celebrate Kiev Day. We were there 3 years ago and we spent almost a month in Kiev. We were there to "Treasure Hunt" but we were not after your typical "Treasure". These pictures may look a little familiar to you..........

This is a shot of Independence Square on Kiev Day...They were setting up the stage and Smokie gave a concert that night. (I'm still humming Living next door to Alice!)

[attachment 57319 IndependenceSquare.JPG]

This is the statue in the circle up near St. Sophia's

[attachment 57322 2004-05-30Dudeonhorse.JPG]

Here is another shot of Independence Square. We were staying in a flat just up the hill behind the McDonalds.

[attachment 57320 IndependenceSquare2.JPG]

We found our "Treasure" in Zhytomyr......And here she is...
I'm the big ugly one.

[attachment 57331 2004-06-05AEMDadampDaisy.JPG]

We adopted this little Girl in June of 2004. This photo was taken last week. I think she's come a long way!

[attachment 57324 AEMampCoach.jpg]

I can't wait to come back to Kiev. It's a beautiful city and we have many good memories of our time in Ukraine. We will be flying the Ukrainian flag in the next couple weeks as we celebrate our daughters adoption day. We want to bring both of our girls back to see where little sister came from. I might slip a detector in my bag just in case I get a chance to slip away! :thumbup:

Oh, I am so glad for you and your daughter.
For sure the best "treasure" (i.e. daughter) of yours has been already found.:clapping:

Inter alia my office is not far from Khmelnitsky (the statue near the St.Sofia). It is one of the places I love very much.

P.S. On Sunday in the evening I was hunting with my 1236 about 25 minutes. My first finds are

denga of 1774 and a broken silver ring. 2 dengas= 1 kopeika. A kopeika is the same as 1 cent.

Tony! Which model do you have?

I have several Fishers. I had a CZ7A and I sold it to "Bavaria Mike" in Germany. I have a 1280 water detector, the ID Excel, A Coin$trike and I just got the F-75. I guess I still favor the Coin$trike. But that is likely to change very soon! The F-75 is incredible! I would love to bring the F-75 to Ukraine!

Hey have you seen this detecting website?

http://www.theserpentswall.com

It looks like a great place to detect! Just watch out for the live ordinance! I'll get back over there one of these days. I go to Moldova a couple times a year, so maybe I will get back to Kiev on one of those trips.

Good Luck Digging!

Of course, I know about the Serpent's Wall.
Due to this Wall a 1000 years ago Vikings called us Gardariki that meant The Land of Walls.
Though finds along it are close to zero. Moreover digging up there is illegal (The Serpent Wall has a special status).
That photo with skeletons is shot during archaeological investigation of Vladimirska street (not far from the modern building of Ministry of Foreign Affairs). It is not related to the Serpent Wall.
http://www.theserpentswall.com/images/p2-image2.jpg

A Word of advice from me is to get a map dated to 1854. And especially interesting places are so-called korchmas. They were a sort of saloons for cowboys. People were drinking and very often loosing coins. Coins of 18-19 centuries are not so bad finds. And you will always find a couple of silver ones.
If you want some ancient Greek and Roman coins you'd better go to the Eastern Crimea.
If you wanted to hunt for 17-th century relics you would face problems with absolutely precise locating.

I am so sorry for my English and spelling. In fact it's only my third foreign language. I cannot feel all the nuances of American English. Is it understandable quite enough what I have written ?

Listen....a man on his third foreign language does NOT need to apologize if you miss a word or two! That's one reason I did not detect when I was there....the language barrier. I'm working on Romanian right now and I am not doing very well. In fact, my Romanian STINKS! :lol: My Russian and Ukrainian are even worse. When we were in Kiev, if we ever got "in trouble" we went to McDonalds. All the young people there spoke English! They would just laugh when they saw us coming. It got to be a regular thing! They really helped us a lot.

I thought the Serpents Wall was a protected site. Is that lady breaking the law by hunting there? Or does she have some special permission? You have an incredible history in your part of the world. Your ground is sure to hold some nice suprises! Good luck digging and keep us posted on the finds!

That lady did violate the law. And she should be jailed for 3-5 years.
But police... They are not present every time and everywhere (for example, at 7 a.m. in the center of a 5000-acres forest:bouncy:). If you are not caught... well, you are innocent...

You 2 guys should hook up for a hunt someday. Fan, I think your English is better than some of the folks on here! You have nothing to worry about in that department:) If you are able, maybe you can post some of your finds from Russia? I'm sure the forum would all love to see them. We always love to see the UK guys finds. There was just a good article in Western & Eastern Treasures magazine about hunting in Russia too....
Bill

It's only 5207 miles (8379 km)(4525 nuatical miles) Czech Airways treats everyone like first class! :thumbup: We will have a short layover in Prague (an absolutely beautiful city) and then we are on to Kiev. It's not a bad trip (if you do it without a kidney stone!):stretcher:

Hey Paul.....What time is dinner? :lol: