Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTP 1350 falsing over depression

Panpan

Im new to this forum and am hoping for help from fellow Garrett owners . I own a GTP 1350. The problem i have is it false signals over depressions or voids along the edge of a sidewalk where it meets the yard. It will sound off as if there was a target there when there is not. I have read in some forums that there is an updated mineral or ground balance chip for these machines, the newer ones have thses updated chips in them at time of manufacturing. Some have said this will help eliminate this falsing. I contacted Garrett and spoke to sue. She stated that all detectors do this, it would be as if you lifted your coil off the ground, and that the chip was intended for highly mineralized states where black sand or magnetite is found, and that this chip would not cure my complaint. Has anyone else run into this and if so is there a cure for what i see as a problem and they say all detectors do this, which i know is not the case. Please help,!!!!!!

Your metal detector is fine. Most Garretts will false over a sudden change of matrix....from soil to a hole. This is caused from a very sensitive detector, and you are probably running your sensitivity high. If it bothers you, turning down the sensitivity should correct this, but you might lose some depth. I just ignore the falsing.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what ive been doing, is just ignoring it or switching to a smaller coil when im in corn fields between the rows, but it slows things down when im double checking the signal to make sure its really false. Slowing down is not always a bad thing. Thanks again

I just happened to see this thread,and though I'm not a Garrett user,I can't imagine getting used to falsing. If it falses over depressions or holes,how is one supposed to sweep and reliably detect a target in a freshly dug hole where there may still be a target? Is someone serious about this or am I misunderstanding what is going on? A detector,PROPERLY ground balanced for the area won't false. Sensitivity set too high will chatter,but not outright false,and the difference is night and day. However the detector is calibrated or how it does the calibration may be an issue,a detector of ANY kind that falses over holes or depressions or lifted too quickly has a negative ground balance. If there is a way to adjust this manually,problem solved. If it is completely automatic,then as John says turning down the sensitivity is the only thing you can do to get silent search operation. To me,personally,I would cringe not being able to manually ground balance my machine,or at least be able to put some offset into the machine to compensate for what it is perceiving. I understand the theory that engineers don't want too much operator input on certain level machines,and if the 1350 doesn't have the ability to be tweaked then you'll have to live with it,or without it...

Good luck with it!
IDXM

maybe I should rephrase the question, because I see a lot of people viewing the post but not many replies. does anyone out there own a 1350 and have this issue? or you have no issue or quirk with your 1350?

well I see a lot of others out there mite be having the same issue by the number of views. I have solved my problem for field hunting and sidewalk hunting...... I bought a whites to use for these applications, with mods for manual ground balance and have not had any further issues. thanks for the views. good luck to others with the 1350. I will keep checking to see if anyone has found a permanent fix for the 1350.

I own a 1350 and I don't have that problem with mine. I would say you are probably running your sens a little to high.