Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI user's, ever have this happen to you?

GetRdone

Went out this morning, after a 2 inch rain, back to a school I had hunted to death back in the 80's, started to hunt on a grid pattern, on the third pass, I hit a target, showed low on the scale at tinfoil-nickel, at 8", thought I'd better investigate after finding my first 2 gold rings of the year last week in the same grounds, cut the plug with my knife and swung the coil back over the hole, same signal, same depth, continued to dig with non abrasive digging knife, dug dirt out to at least 6", signal still in hole, with same tinfoil-nickel reading, dug approx. another 2 '' and there it was , a 1917? merc, badley worn, the question I have is why the GTI's coin sound never sounded as I was hunting in the jewelry mode, could it be that either the coin was standing on end in the ground or does the GTI coin sound get lost on targets that size and depth in that mode, has anyone else had a simular experience with the GTI, would like to know.:unsure:

How does it ring up in an air test closer to the coil? I had a burned, partially melted, silver dime at about 3 inches ring up as a zinc cent. That is the lowest on the scale I have ever found a silver coin.

Nice deep find. It should be a fond memory every time you look at her.

Chris

Once a target is beyond the ID depth, the GTI series continue to seek out deep targets. The real deep ones will in fact read as metal at times. I tried to replicate this scenario in an old soccer field, and to my surprise, I dug a real old silver quarter and real old penny, about 15 feet from a goal post. This area around the gold post is prime hunting area, and must have been hit 100's of times before by myself and others . Keep digging those old iffy signals, and you will at times be well rewarded. :)

I had that happen to me this evening. Pennies were showing below the penny mark but above the nickle mark. It never made the "coin sound" but because it was consistant I dug it anyway.

I found lots and lots of beer caps and pull tabs, old and new. For the first hour or so that is all I pulled. Of course I was in a state park at a picnic area. There was supposed to have been an old 1800's grist mill right there and I did find some old metal and a small gear wheel but no coins. :(

Thanks for the info, will have to watch this more closely, I dug an 1877 cc quarter last year at 8", and a 1896 0 silver dollar at 10" plus and they both sounded off, but this is the deepest dime I had ever dug, but thought that maybe the GTI lost the ability to sound off in the coin response on that small and deep a target, thanks again for the input John, on thats normal, was unaware of this happening, probably have left some good items uncovered prior to this experience.:puke:

Ive dug 8 silver dimes at an old Putt Putt course that was filled over with 6 inches of rocky to soil. All were 6 to 8 inches and rang as coins. Not the strongest signal as I had to work the detector to get the belltome as some tried to register as zinc pennies. Ground cond and depth are possible causes.

Thanks liltracs, I think that like John said and I suspected, that his dime was at the bottom of extent at where the machine could positivily give the belltone or correct adentification on the target, the only thing I guess I still don't understand, is the fact that after removing dirt twice from the hole , why the machine could still not give the coin sound on the target, unless like I stated in my first post the dime was on end, standing up and down in the ground, or it was so badly worn, either way I be checking these types of targets in the future.

This is my 2nd day out with my GTI, I came across a quarter/dime signal (b size/3 inches) I dig it up, I find a nickel. I thought to myself, "That's strange". Then I went over it again. Quarter signal.
I dug up some more, and found a dime. Scanned it again, Quarter signal.. then finally dug the quarter.

This was just after I hit a spot that gave me an overload chirp, which was a surface coin spill of 3 quarters and 2 pennies. That spill rang in at a 9+ B sized at 1 inch.