Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTAx 550 Depth Problems

stikman

I bought a Garrett Gtax 550 with 8 1/2" Crossfire coil a couple weeks ago and have been having a lot of fun with it, although I've only been finding clad coins. I did an air test with it today and am only picking up coins at no deeper than 3-3 1/2 inches throughout the sensitivity range in discriminate and non-discriminate modes. I put in a brand new set of batteries with absolutely no improvement. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if my coil could be bad. I've read other air tests that show readings on quarters at 10 inches!!! Could this be right or am I getting worried for no reason?

Make absolutely sure nothing mettalic is within close range. Start at lowest sensitivity and work your way up

I field tested the 550 for Garrett when it first came out and it gets far more depth than that. My field test is at losttreasure.com There is something definetely wrong somewhere. I assume you bought it used. Check with Melinda at Garrett. melinda.harper@garrett.com

Bill

Yes, unfortunately, it is used. I emailed Melinda and can only wait for a response. I'm quite disappointed, but at the same time confused. I tried fiddling around a little more with it and am still only getting readings on coins at 3-4" but nearly a foot on an aluminum can, which is completely understandable. What I don't understand is that in pinpoint mode I can hear a coin at around 10 inches and an aluminum can at well over 2 feet!!! I really don't want to have to send this off for expensive repair, so if you know of anyone in my area that could take a look at this, please put me in contact with them. I'm about 20 miles NE of Topeka, Kansas.

I sent the 550 off for repair Tuesday and will hopefully have it back, in working order next week. Melinda promptly Emailed me back and informed me of the repair costs. $40.00 including return shipping plus $15.55 to get it there. Doesn't sound too bad. I'll now have just under $300 invested. Maybe I should have went to Clevenger's in KC. I feel that I am still a little ahead. Now if I could just stop buying digging tools in anticipation of getting my detector back. Oh, and thanks for giving me Melinda's Email Bill.

Got the call back yesterday. They're replacing a "power cord" and the battery holders and also re-calibrated the 550. They said that there was a short in the "power cord" causing it to not get the depth that it should. I should have it back early next week, which kind of sucks because there's a national hunt being held in Topeka this weekend. Not sure what goes on there but suppose that I'll save the $45 entry fee by not going.