Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gta 500

brrttpaul

hi everyone im new to detecting but read the manuals etc the question i have is on my gta there is a depth button and audio button ive been told i should adjust my audio so i can just hear it as for depth if my machine is being eratic i lower it a couple of notches trouble is im not confident searching if i go to low also ive never had to adjust the audio once since i had my machine and have been on beach and farmland so wat is the point of audio am i doing something wrong? i would be gratefull if anyone can give me some pointers on this i also search a lot of ground where there is a lot of trash,iron,coke etc coming from south wales a lot of hills are covered with old coal tips but there are quite a few roman rds round here also im really keen to learn more is it trial and error or am i missing something
cheers
Paul

The audio just establishes the level of sound for pinpoint or all metal if you have it. It needs only to be set at a slight hum. This way you'll always know your detector is functioning.

As for depth ( sensitivity ) you can run it low without any problems. If you bump it up and your detector becomes noisy, erratic, and unstable, then drop it down until all that quits. Sensitivity is a much misunderstood control. When you crank it up you not only make the coil more sensitive to the target you hope to find but more sensitive to everything else in the ground, including mineralization, and this will cause you to miss good targets because they are masked by all the noise.

So just set your sensitivity to where your machine runs smooth and you'll do okay.

Bill

thx very much for that info bill its much appreciated i think i had the sensitivity to high cos every now and again it would bleep like hell so i notch it down one or two but then i was thinking was it searching deep enough there are 12 notches i think on it and i usually got it on 8 or 9 anything less and im not confident its working deep enough what i might do next time when im out is bury a coin on location and lower it right down for my own piece of mind wat u reckon sound ok with you? cheers again
Paul

Remember running high sensitivity doesn't do squat if it's making so much noise you pass right over the target whose noise is mixed in with all the rest.

Bill