Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GT versus Elite

cash

i've been thinking about upgrading my sov elite to a GT. I use it for all around detecting but am more interested in using it on the beach with a WOT. I try to stay in all metal on beach but the threshold is noisy and wears out my concentration after awhile. in wet sand, i generally have to go to discrim for stability but i notice more depth from all metal. supposedly, the GT has better all metal operation in the salt? I haven't done alot of beach hunting and am still learning the wot and fooling with settings and haven't gotten the depth yet that i see others post. i havent had much chance to experiment. so far i set sens on 3 o'clock, discrim. all the way back, no notch, volume all the way up, headphone volume about half and then threshold to where i can lightly hear it. could i be using too much sens for a bigger coil? it seems like i almost get more depth from the 10". one spot i dug down 3 feet for a piece of a lead keel in maine. i try to keep coil speed slow, 1 to 2 feet per sec. any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance for the help.

i don't hunt the beach or use a wot and i have an older sovereign. 3' o'clock is way too low on the sensitivity. i always use mine at full sensitivity. auto or 11-12 o'clock may be beston the beach. i have checked some targets in parks and i lose the signal at 3 o'clock.

thanks chuck, that was fast! yeah, i generally run around 12 o'clock with an 8" intruder coil inland here in pennsylvania where we have difficult ground here in the mountains and go up higher with the 5" coil with good results. for the wot on the beach i kinda looked at the beach setting on the sens knob which indicates 2 o'clock as a max beach setting. i figured if it was already that noisy with a large 15" coil, i couldn't go higher and was breaking the signal to noise barrier already. maybe i need to go up higher anyway, i'll give it a shot.

My Elite is modded with the silent search. It works good, but sometimes, really deep targets might give a null sound, but I won't know it with my Elite, becasue it is set for silent search. What I do is set the threshold higher, till I hear it, then it acts like a stock machine. Problem is, the threshold in all-metal is a little higher than normal. It still works though.

My GT, well, it works the same.

I don't use my machines in all metal. I have tried to detect in all metal, but sometimes the targets are either too small or too deep, and you sometimes don't hear the change. In DISC mode, I usually hear a chirp or something that makes me re-check the area.

Sometimes, after getting an 'iffy' signal, all-metal pin-point sometimes doesn't detect it. This is when the 'SOV-wiggle' comes in handy.

For beach hunting, sometimes at the park as well, my sensitivety is set as high as possible. Usually the 1 o'clock area. But the way I get there is dependent to the falsing and swing speed. I am sure you can swing tooooo sloooow and not detect anything. I am not saying to swing fast, but there is a special speed to sensitivety ratio that you must be comfortable with. The more sensitive you set it, the slower you swing. But too slow, you might not be productive. You gotta try what works good for you.

Laterz

ed

Ed,

Try something sometime, try going real slow and see what you hear. This is where you will hear the deeper coins many will miss. With the Sovereign the slightest movement of the coil will produce a signal. Now with the older Sovereign and the Elite I have seen when it gets real deep the signals will be very iffy with the tones trying to climb along with the meter readings, but just cant quite make it. Now with the GT I notice more iron will fool me a bit, but I also see I can get a better meter reading and tones on the deeper targets over the older Sovereigns.
I have always been told and do believe you can not go too slow with the Sovereign, but very easy to go too fast. I have seen this several times when I work some well worked area I know hold deeper coins as I go very very slow and can hear those tone changes, then do a little wiggle to see that is is repeatable and dig.Now if I just go slow I will not hear these signals, but very very slow.Very Very slow is just moving the coil maybe 3 or 4 inches or less per second. Sometime now with the GT I have to check from another angle to be sure it is not a iron false. Sometimes it is hard to pinpoint these too as when you go to all metal to pinpoint you don't get a signal as they are just too deep and why I find that disc goes deeper for me in my land hunting.
Next time you get a very weak signal try going slower and faster and see how slow you can go or how fast you can and still get a signal.

Rick

thanks, ed, for the response. it does seem that i need to take the time on the beach just to test and find that balance of speed to sensitivity. i guess i'm having more trouble because the large size of the wot seems to make the responses more erratic and harder to clue into a pattern. your advice on the sensitivity is really good. i'm thinking on starting with the 10 inch because it is seemingly more stable, learn it's response and then put on the wot, and go from there. i guess patience is a virtue after all. thanks, cash.

thanks for replying, rick. yes, i have found by experience the hard way sort of that i have to give the sov time to process the ground and that means slow sweep speed. i went over one spot once with an 8 inch then again with a five inch with moderate sweep speed and only got stuff from 2-4 inches deep at best. then i went back and thought well i might as well take some time and go slow. this is the third time i was going over the same ground, and out popped a 1917 mercury dime, a 1919 mercury dime and a V nickel (i think 1912) seemingly out of nowhere. i just needed to give the machine time to do its job. so i need to take the time to play with the signals as you suggest and do more learning about responses and what i'm hearing. thanks again for the advice, cash.